New LSA Student in Winter Haven, FL

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

KevinV

New LSA Student in Winter Haven, FL

Post by KevinV »

I'm new to flying, but not to dreaming. During my early childhood days in the 70's I would build model airplanes and marvel at the magic of flight as I watched planes overhead. I wanted to fly but the opportunity just wasn't there for me. Upon graduation from high school I entered the Marine Corps with the hopes of someday being a helicopter pilot. But again, the dream was not fulfilled.

At one point during my time in the Corps I was on a C-5 from Honolulu, HI to Pohang, Korea and the crew ran into difficulty. We did an emergency landing on Wake Island and I lost my interest in flying. It was a rather scary experience that made me very aware of my mortality and lack of control while strapped into a jump seat. I had never studied the physics of flight and after reflecting on what happened, which was the first time I thought of the possible dangers involved, I drew my own uninformed conclusion that flying was mostly luck and magic, of which neither the pilot could control. From there I allowed myself to avoid anymore serious consideration of my earlier dreams of flight by dismissing it as a dangerous activity I could easily avoid by staying away from airports. I flew when required and that was it.

I got out of the Marines in 1993 and my last flight was an uneventful transatlantic trip from Spain back to the States. I did not board another plane for over 18 years. I've missed family reunions and have limited our vacation destinations as a direct result. I don't want that anymore.

A few weeks back I flew in an LSA during a discovery flight, even taking control of the aircraft at times. It was a move I took to face a fear I had allowed to blossom from what was once a dream. I had prepared for the flight by studying Gleim manuals, pouring over Internet sites that explained the mechanics of flight, and generally doing whatever was necessary to psyche myself up for the big day. Perhaps a simple move for others, this was truly one of epic proportions for me.

Now I'm just psyched up! I have taken another 1 hour flight lesson, am halfway through the study material for the Sport Pilot Knowledge Test, have been practicing basic maneuvers in Microsoft FSX, and have taken advantage of the resources available to new pilots through the AOPA. I won't say that my fears are completely gone, but through education I have greatly diminished them and replaced them with excitement once again. I'm turning my childhood dream into a reality at the age of 40.

I was very glad to find this site and look forward to participating in the shared flight experience it offers. I'm also interested in hearing from others that are using FSX as a training tool.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Welcome to the board.

What plane are you training in?

I'm been at it for a while and have just a couple of lessons left before my check ride.

I don't use FSX, but I do use X-Plane (I'm a Linux/Mac person, so there is no choice). Sim's are great for procedures. Not so good for anything else.

One thing I particularly found it helped with was practicing the transition from climb out to level cruise in the pattern, which often happens during a turn, so you are adjusting throttle and trim while turning and picking up a new heading.

One thing I need to do, but haven't yet is to practice controlled airspace work. I fly in uncontrolled airspace and really need to work on tower communications. There are on-line "controlled airports" that are supposed to be great for this. It's a matter of getting my Linux sound drivers working with some rather outdated software (one of the few times I wish I had a Windows box).

Fly safe!

Ron
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Kevin - welcome to Sport Pilot Talk.

Altho' I first started as a young *adult* in the 1970s, I kept the dream for all the years since then. First lesson was in 1972 - and the next one was 2005! As bad experience on my first lesson kept me away for all those years.

I completely agree with Ron regarding the simulation software. They're great for learning procedures - and maybe even instrument use. But you won't learn much about flying from them. You need the real feel of the stick and the plane in that 3-dimensional world "up there".

One thing I'd add: I used FSX as an aid for learning navigation, both VOR and GPS. The practice is something that comes in handy, and FSX is sure cheaper than another couple hundred bucks for an hour or two in the air.

Again, nothing beats being in the left seat yourself.

Keep us posted as your new adventure takes shape!
Tom
KevinV

Post by KevinV »

Thanks for the welcome guys, I appreciate it.

I have X-Plane 9 as well, but have not figured it out as well as FSX yet. FSX is very intuitive and I like the additional log and training features that are built into it.

My first two lessons were in an Aerostar 1. I plan to check out another local flight school soon that offers the Tecnam P92 Echo Super for training. I'm very excited about trying this aircraft. The Aerostar is OK, but I'd like to see what else is out there and settle in with whatever is most comfortable for me for the balance of my training.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I'm flying the Echo now. It's one of the few LSA's I can actually fit into! All I can say is, RIGHT RUDDER!

Another good use for Flight sims is something that seems to be particular to older students, and that is steering on the ground with your feet. I probably saved hundreds of dollars and maybe a bent airplane by getting some rudder pedals just to practice taxiing. I've found the rudder control while flying the sim pretty usless, but for taxiing, and to a leser extent, takeoff roll they are a big help.

Oh, one more use for sims, and that practicing slips/crossing landings. This are modeled fairly well in X-plan. For me cross control didn't come naturally, especially the "wing down" method of cross wind landing. I'm more of a natural "crabber"

It's odd, I read other complaints about the non-intuitve X-plane interface. I find it much easier to configure than MSFS. The plane selector is basically a file browser, there is one screen to set up axis control, and adjustment is automatic, and one page to set up buttons.

Have fun!

Ron
EppyGA

Post by EppyGA »

KevinV wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys, I appreciate it.

I have X-Plane 9 as well, but have not figured it out as well as FSX yet. FSX is very intuitive and I like the additional log and training features that are built into it.

My first two lessons were in an Aerostar 1. I plan to check out another local flight school soon that offers the Tecnam P92 Echo Super for training. I'm very excited about trying this aircraft. The Aerostar is OK, but I'd like to see what else is out there and settle in with whatever is most comfortable for me for the balance of my training.
You'll love the Tecnam. Embry Riddle is using one now over in Daytona Beach.
Randy Epstein
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

KevinV, welcome to the group!