New member in NC

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

hbdm1151

New member in NC

Post by hbdm1151 »

Hello everyone,
I'm a Comm Helicopter with ASEL, earned in the late 1970s, transitioning to Sport Pilot privileges. Until last week, I hadn't flown since the early 1990s. I now have 2.5 hrs in an Allegro 2000. So far, it's been lots of fun getting back into the air!
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Welcome aboard.

So how do you like the Allegro? I've seen them advertised a lot, but not much in the way of Pireps.

I fly the Tecnam Echo Super at CSP in Maryland.

Ron
KevinV

Post by KevinV »

Welcome, from another new member. With your background, I'm sure the transition will be a smooth one.
hbdm1151

Post by hbdm1151 »

rsteele wrote:
So how do you like the Allegro? I've seen them advertised a lot, but not much in the way of Pireps.
Thanks Ron.

Mind you, just my newbie opinion here, but, the Allegro is fast, but flies at ~55. Climbs like a helicopter. Glides almost like a glider. It's definitely what I'd call a 'rudder' machine. I had demo'd a downwind, base, final, to touchdown using only rudder and trim, with a few "taps" on the ailerons. Unfortunately, I am grossly over-controlling it. I must learn to fly it like an OH-58- just 'think' left turn and it starts banking left with MINIMAL hand movement. One more thing, it sits measurably lower than the fixed-wings I am used to, so I tend to start my flare a bit too high. Haven't quite got the runway site picture yet.

I'm back at it Sat. morning at 6:30AM, so we'll see how it goes.
hbdm1151

Post by hbdm1151 »

KevinV wrote:Welcome, from another new member. With your background, I'm sure the transition will be a smooth one.
Thanks KevinV and Welcome! to you as well.

See my reply to Ron above.
jimhazen

Post by jimhazen »

I've been flying the Allegro for 3-1/2 years currently coming up on 400 hours. It's fun to fly. Crosswind landings can be pretty entertaining but it handles them well. It's light on the controls and very responsive. With good rudder coordination it handles very well. I finished flying the lower 48 last year. My project for this year is to fly route 66 East and fly back following the Lewis and Clark trail.
N44469
JLH
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

jimhazen wrote:I've been flying the Allegro for 3-1/2 years currently coming up on 400 hours. It's fun to fly. Crosswind landings can be pretty entertaining but it handles them well. It's light on the controls and very responsive. With good rudder coordination it handles very well. I finished flying the lower 48 last year. My project for this year is to fly route 66 East and fly back following the Lewis and Clark trail.
N44469
That is just too cool. Hope you have fun. And keep us posted on your progress

I've heard when interstate 40 was first planned, there were supposed to be runways every 20 miles so that "flying cars" could land and take to the road in bad weather. Can you imagine!
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Welcome to the forum!

I also own an Allegro 2000 like Jim H...Are you flying a 2000 or a 2007?

Just one peice of advice on landing. It took me forever to feel good about landing. The way I was being trained was like any other SEL trainer. power off , full flaps, stall it in.....This never worked well for me..After reading more Light Sport Forums I found out that LSA's land better with a little power (2600 RPM or so), take off flaps( position 1 in an Allegro) and fly it to the deck much like a fighter on to a carrier. When that is mastered learn to land with full flaps and no flaps. Like Jim says and you are correct in saying rudder control is the key to this great little airplane.. Are you training in Stanford with Doug and Betty??? I picked up my plane there and flew it back to Arizona with my CFI after I had 5 hours of training... It was a great trip.
Good luck and have fun
Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
hbdm1151

Post by hbdm1151 »

ka7eej wrote:1151

Welcome to the forum!

I also own an Allegro 2000 like Jim H...Are you flying a 2000 or a 2007?

Just one peice of advice on landing. It took me forever to feel good about landing. The way I was being trained was like any other SEL trainer. power off , full flaps, stall it in.....This never worked well for me..After reading more Light Sport Forums I found out that LSA's land better with a little power (2600 RPM or so), take off flaps( position 1 in an Allegro) and fly it to the deck much like a fighter on to a carrier. When that is mastered learn to land with full flaps and no flaps. Like Jim says and you are correct in saying rudder control is the key to this great little airplane.. Are you training in Stanford with Doug and Betty??? I picked up my plane there and flew it back to Arizona with my CFI after I had 5 hours of training... It was a great trip.
Good luck and have fun
Brian

Hello Brian,
It's a 2000 and yes, I'm at Lee County with Doug and Betty.

My initial fixed-wing training, in Cessnas, was the graduated approach, power back, carb heat, 85, 1 notch of flaps on DW, 80 Base, 70-75 final, monitor the instruments, hold exact speeds, a square pattern, flare and stall at touch-down.

I am now being taught the technique you describe for the Allegro, a stabilized approach at 70, 1 notch of flaps, NO STALL, using power, hold the correct site picture and let it settle on the rear wheels, once it touches, ease the stick back until the speed bleeds-off and the nose settles. Lee County is 6500', I can get 3-4 T&Gs in a single pass on this runway.

Met my CFI this morning at 0630. I told him I planned to fly the airplane like an OH-58. I concentrated on relaxing, was ever so gentle on the controls, and let the aircraft do the flying. It worked! I think I finally broke through the 'over-controlling' barrier.

This little airplane is beginning to grow on me.

By the way, they had a new, full-paneled 2007 in the hangar this morning.

Thanks.