Central FL newbie looking to start flying...

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

gjferg

Central FL newbie looking to start flying...

Post by gjferg »

Hi all. I'm looking for a little guidance and a little advice on flight training and aircraft. I've always wanted to fly but never had a the time nor money to invest. Back in 2000, up in Ohio, I was flying gliders with the Caesar Creek Soaring Club out of Waynseville, OH. It was a great experience, but I only logged 10 hours or so before moving back to Florida.

Now, some 9 years later, I'm getting the bug again, not so much for soaring, but rather powered sport pilot training.

I have a few questions but should probably start a new thread for those. A bit about my background...like I said, my flight training is limited to about 10 hours of glider (dual, none solo). As far as the flying bug lately, it's a lot like the bug I had when I was flying the gliders. I'm not looking necessarily for a PPL, a SPL will do just fine. What I'm looking to do is just buzz around a couple times a week...treetop flying...flying for the sake of flying. I've always had an interest in ultralights but have never pursued it...but now I think I'm ready. I'm considering training at an outfit in Deland, FL called U-Fly-It http://www.uflyit.com/. They do sport pilot training in a Quicksilver and a Challenger II ... exactly the type of airplane I'd like to fly and even build some day.

Today, I'm an 11 year A&P currently working as a maintenance inspector for an airline. I'm looking forward to any advice you folks have to offer as well as sharing my new experiences here.

--Greg
KevinV

Post by KevinV »

Hello Greg,

I'm new myself so I can't offer any guidance, but I do share your enthusiasm. I'm in Central Florida also, Winter Haven to be exact. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime...hopefully at different altitudes. :lol:

Welcome to the forum, there's plenty of archives to read through.
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

First Landings Aviation, out of the Orlando-Apopka airport. Currently have a Remos G-3 on the line and there is also a gobosh and Challenger on the field.
Adam

CFI-SP, Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance, Rotax Cert.
Orlando, FL
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Glider??? That sounds exciting!
Welcome to the group.