geezer in vegas

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

yozz25

geezer in vegas

Post by yozz25 »

Hi:

I'm new to aviation, 56 years old, always wanted to fly, studied aero in high school, but life throws curve balls, but finally fulfilling my dream.

Have already taken 2 intro lessons plus 2 official flight lessons. Wow, there is alot to learn.

I have one sticking point. I get the "nerves" upon banking the plane, a piper warrior. I'm trying to shake this feeling. Has anyone else felt the nerves when banking, otherwise I am maneuvering pretty well, slowly but well.

My intention is to learn in the warrior, become proficient then go down to AZ to get the sports license, as there is no sport plane school up here in NV.

yozz Oh, happy holidays to you all

thanks
Bill

Post by Bill »

Sounds like you have had only four flights so far. Don't worry, you'll get over those "nerves." There is a lot to learn - but it is manageable and fascinating stuff. Enjoy.
--
<i>If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Selling Personal Checks and Business Checks helps pay for the 'Coupe.</i> :)
--
yozz25

Post by yozz25 »

Thanks.

I look at flying as an art and science combinined. I practice on the flight sim what I learned in the lessons.

It takes much concentration when listening to the instructor and following him making maneuvers and looking at gauges. The sim and some after thought after the lesson puts things together.

Then up we go again, for more intake of info.

It's like one hour of intense training, and 5 hours of sim practice and contemplation to 'rewire" my brain.

Intellectually I understand how it works, but the practice of doing it and why things happens takes slow thought.

I learned turns, instruments and was happy to find the trim wheel to finally fly straight. That thrilled me!!!!!!!!

yozz
CharlieTango

Re: geezer in vegas

Post by CharlieTango »

yozz25 wrote:... as there is no sport plane school up here in NV...
have you talked to flight design west in north las vegas?
yozz25

Post by yozz25 »

no, not yet.

I guess I should give them a buzz

yozzz
yozz25

Post by yozz25 »

Cant find flight design west in N. LV

So far took another 2 hours and got over the nerves, actually did nice steep banks to lock it in.

Getting better control of plane, flew over boulder dam, did a circle, keep craft nice and straight, worked the trim, descended, climbed, then went over to a non tower strip for 2 touch and goes running a flyover, then downwind, base and approach, not bad.

Instructor keeps insisting that I keep the speed at 73, but its' hard to look it in exact, my thing is to approximate it and be happy I clear the thresh hold number flare and land, pull up flaps then hit throttle.

I'm starting to enjoy this flying.

Idled plane to practice glide over desert. Seems like I'm hooked on this flying stuff.

yozz25

Also, the school I'm at is pretty lax with me, I call up, say I want a flight and they see who is ready. But the instructor on the last 2 was pretty good, perhaps I should stay loyal to him.

Any thoughts