Hey everybody!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

jman

Hey everybody!

Post by jman »

Hey, I'm new here. I'm going to be a pilot soon, and my granddad's going to be my instructor! :) I'm 14 now, and I'm going to start my training next summer. For now, I'm saving money for my first airplane. Right now, I'm looking at a Zodiac CH 650. It seems like a good choice since it can do aerobatics and cross country, and has a pretty low fuel burn. The price is pretty good too. Cutting grass is paying better than ever right now, but it's not good enough. This summer I'll get a job, but since I'm 14, it's probably minimum wage. My estimate is that I can make a couple thousand dollars in a few months, enough to go ahead and buy part of the kit. My dad doesn't see my logic in buying kit parts before I have my license, even though I've explained as best as I can that I would like an airplane to fly once I do have my license and it takes a while to save up for and build an airplane. Any ideas on how to make money for an airplane? I took out a calculator yesterday and figured that I could make, if I worked hard, about $20,000 in three years. But that's only enough for the airplane and finishing kit. I still need money for the engine. I know this is kind of long, but can someone help?
drseti

Re: Hey everybody!

Post by drseti »

jman wrote:Hey, I'm new here.
Welcome to the forum!
Right now, I'm looking at a Zodiac CH 650.
In case you were not aware: the CH650 has had some pretty serious safety issues, and all 601s and 650s (homebuilt as well as factory built) were grounded by the FAA last winter, until significant modifications were complied with. I wouldn't consider one until these issues have been fully resolved -- there were several in-flight breakup accidents in the design, resulting in fatalities. This is nothing to be taken lightly.
My estimate is that I can make a couple thousand dollars in a few months,
Since you have a potential flight instructor, you might want to consider: that would be enough to pay all the aircraft rental you'll need to qualify for the Sport Pilot license.
My dad doesn't see my logic in buying kit parts before I have my license, even though I've explained as best as I can that I would like an airplane to fly once I do have my license and it takes a while to save up for and build an airplane.
I don't want to dash your enthusiasm, but I'm with your dad on this one. Aircraft are liabilities, not assets. Once you own one, you still have to have many thousands of dollars available every year for insurance, hangar, and required annual inspections. You would probably do better to apply your earnings toward flight lessons and aircraft rental, at least until you are licensed and somewhat more experienced (at which point, insurance costs will go down significantly).
I took out a calculator yesterday and figured that I could make, if I worked hard, about $20,000 in three years.
That's a significant sum, and you should certainly set your sights on those kinds of earnings. But, consider your long-term priorities. In three years, you're going to be ready to start college. Are you sure you want all your savings tied up in an airplane, instead of investing them in an education? Remember, education generates income that can pay for airplanes. Airplanes seldom generate income that can pay for education!

Best of luck to you.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

As some building a 601/650, a couple of corrections.

This is plane is NOT aerobatic. There are one ore two unfortunate videos on utube showing it doing loops and such, but this madness. Keep in mind that a talented pilot can to aerobatics in just about any plane without over stressing it, but its still madness.

Second, the FAA didn't ground the Experimental fleet. In fact there is no way for them to do it since there is no type certificate to base the grounding upon. You could build a Zenith kit and register it as an Uncle Joe's Special, and no one would know the difference. What they did do is direct their examiners not to issue new airworthyness certificates to planes base on the Zodiac kits or plans, until the upgrade is done.

Finally, the Zodiacs are currently are real steal, precisely because of this problem. You can get a plane, that's been upgraded, and now exceeds both the LSA and Part 23, "certified" standards, for a bit more than 1/2 the prices it sold for new a couple of years ago.

Ron
drseti

Post by drseti »

rsteele wrote: Finally, the Zodiacs are currently are real steal, precisely because of this problem. You can get a plane, that's been upgraded,
Ah, but there's the catch: that's been upgraded! I would want to make absolutely sure that the upgrade has been done, and done right, before I'd want to risk flying one. (In fact, if I didn't build the plane personally, and do the upgrades myself, I'd always have quite a bit of doubt...)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jman

Post by jman »

What upgrades are needed? Is the company working on them? I might just go with a Sonex if Zenith hasn't gotten around to fixing their design by the time I actually buy an airplane. But like you said, I have other things coming up, so that won't come for several more years.
What do you mean by more experienced? Like having a commercial certificate instead of a sport or private?
Josh
drseti

Post by drseti »

jman wrote:What upgrades are needed?
Major structural modifications to the main spar, primarily.
Is the company working on them?
I've seen the engineering drawings. It appears that the design is firm, but implementing it requires disassembly and is non-trivial. I haven't seen one actually modified to the new design yet, but I'm sure it's been done by somebody. There's probably a Zodiac discussion forum out there somewhere, where you can inquire as to what people's experience has been.
I might just go with a Sonex if Zenith hasn't gotten around to fixing their design by the time I actually buy an airplane.
I don't know much about the Sonex, but I'm sure there's somebody on this board who can provide some input.
What do you mean by more experienced? Like having a commercial certificate instead of a sport or private?
No; experience has more to do with flight hours than it does specific ratings. I'd say get some flights under your belt, in a variety of designs, before you commit all your resources to one particular bird.

Oh, wait, we're talking airplanes here...
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

rsteele wrote:the FAA didn't ground the Experimental fleet. In fact there is no way for them to do it
True, Ron. But, did you see the EAA letter? They couldn't urge owners any more strongly about the dangers of continued flight, and I'd be rather surprised if anyone is stupid enough to disregard the clear evidence. Outside of Austin, very few pilots are suicidal, after all...
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jman

Post by jman »

Just an update: So far, I've made $500! :D

BTW, I emailed the customer support at Zenith and they sent me a link to the page where you can buy an upgrade kit that makes the airplane safe to fly again.

Sorry, can't find it. Email them and they'll send you the link.
Josh
drseti

Post by drseti »

jman wrote:Just an update: So far, I've made $500! :D
You're off to a great start, Josh. Keep it up!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Welcome to the forums.