Still Pursuing Flying at Age 59

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

not2old2fly

Still Pursuing Flying at Age 59

Post by not2old2fly »

Hello... my name is Rich and I'm in Reno, NV. I have had a passion for flying ever since my dad came back from flying in B-17's and B-29's in WWII. I have always wanted to be a pilot but have always found excuses for not getting around to taking lessons. Now, at age 59, I am eager to start working toward my light sport pilot certificate. It will be a challenge for me as I have some sensory integration issues (fancy way to say I am a spatially-challenged klutz!) but at the same time I am more self-confident and more motivated now than at any other point in my life.

I have already learned a lot from reading your posts and I look forward to learning more and hopefully contributing as I gain experience.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Welcome to the forum, youngster. My youngest student is currently 17, and my oldest 80, so you're right in the middle of the pack.

Your sensory integration issues should not be an obstacle; you've probably been developing your own accommodations all your life. But, one should always bring any special needs to the attention of his or her flight instructor, up front. Some CFIs may be uncomfortable working with you, and should be given the opportunity to opt out. After all, you don't want to fly with someone who doesn't want to give you 110%!

Have fun, and make your father proud.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
not2old2fly

Post by not2old2fly »

drseti... thank you for your kind and supportive words. I looked at your website and was very impressed. Wish I were closer to PA... sounds like you have a wonderful facility in Lock Haven.
SkySteve

Post by SkySteve »

Great decision to become a pilot. I made the same decision at age 55. I'm now 60 and have had a great time the past 5 years. Many more years of flying in my future. Sport Pilots rule!
Steve Wilson
Huntsville, UT
Kitfox
Convertible Nose Wheel & Tail Wheel
912A / Warp Drive Prop
drseti

Post by drseti »

not2old2fly wrote:Wish I were closer to PA... sounds like you have a wonderful facility in Lock Haven.
Our part of the state is an ideal vacation spot. Stop by anytime!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
yozz25

go for it

Post by yozz25 »

Hey, go for it.

I'm 57, about your age, just do it, it's an itch that you want to scratch, so scratch it.

It's part of my bucket list. Amazing what one movie can do for people.

Yozz
new yawker in nevada
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

I am 55yo and have just completed 20hrs of instruction for my sport pilot certificate. My only regrets is that I waited so long to do this.
Training in the summer is GA has it's own quirks.. like the thunderstorm that blew up yesterday that kept me from my first solo. Oh well.. it looks like Tuesday is the day!!!

Good luck on your training and safe landings!

Gene
Bill

Post by Bill »

gmohr wrote:I am 55yo and have just completed 20hrs of instruction for my sport pilot certificate. My only regrets is that I waited so long to do this.
Training in the summer is GA has it's own quirks.. like the thunderstorm that blew up yesterday that kept me from my first solo. Oh well.. it looks like Tuesday is the day!!!

Good luck on your training and safe landings!

Gene
Wow, first solo tomorrow, eh? Good luck with the weather allowing it to happen. Please let us know how it goes.
--
<i>If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
Selling Personal Checks and Business Checks helps pay for the 'Coupe.</i> :)
--