Hello from central NJ

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

AlexM

Hello from central NJ

Post by AlexM »

Hello everyone. I am in central NJ and hope to start taking flying lessons in July. I intend to get a sport pilot license and perhaps advance to private pilot at some after. Mostly I think I intend to fly for recreation and probably not for travel as the costs seem prohibitive. If there is anyone else in NJ here, i'd love to hear from you :)
not2old2fly

Post by not2old2fly »

Hey Alex... I'm not from NJ, but welcome to the forum! I am in the same boat as you-- prospective student. I'm moving to Houston in October and hope to start taking my lessons then. Good luck!
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Hey, AlexM, my name is Kevin and I'm from NJ, Northern NJ to be exact. I too am looking for a sport pilot flight school but can't seem to find one in Northern NJ.

Actually, there used to be a flight school that has sport pilot at Essex County Airport and I used to take flying lessons over there. Unfortunately, that school closed down and got replaced by another school but doesn't have sport pilot. So, I'm kinda stuck midway through my training with 10.6 hours under my belt.

Good news is that flight schools at Lincoln Park Airport and Essex County Airport will have Cessna Skycatchers added to their fleet but may not be for many months. I know that Royal Karina Air Service at Trenton Airport will start sport pilot programs soon.
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Welcome to the boards!
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

Hi guys,

I am in Northern, NJ, bergen county here.

I have never flown but am interested in obtaining a sport pilot license. I also have a friend who is interested...he is in the middle of his PPL. I am not sure whether we would consider purchasing a plane or not yet.

My question is.. do you take a class based on where there is a school available or what plane you want to learn? Wouldn't it make sense to put your time in on the plane you want to be able to rent or fly or own...?

Can you even rent LSAs in NJ? If you get your license and cannot buy an aircraft, and cannot rent... then this is not going to do much good.
Jack Bowser

Post by Jack Bowser »

I was raised in Westfield, NJ but have been here in them northern Illinois area for 50+ years. I'm taking ground school for my sport pilot license now.

I think you will be able to find a sport plane to rent in NJ.

I'm thinking of building a Vans. RV-12 but will be flying a cesna while learning to fly. Hopefully it isn't too hard to learn in one and end up flying another.

Good luck with your plans.
I'm in Ground School for Sport Pilot License and thinking about building a vans RV-12.