Hello From Tallahassee, FL

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

ming1000

Hello From Tallahassee, FL

Post by ming1000 »

Hi, Everyone

I'm 39 years old and still have the urge to complete childhood flying dream. I hope I can start my sport pilot training next month.

I've shopped flight schools around, not quite sure which route I should go. Some schools are commited to sport pilot training, but commute is a big problem to me.

I found a school about 3 hours drive from where I live; they do provid sport pilot training, however, there is only one CTLS; and the manager said that he would put me on a 172 to master landing first, and then move to CTLS; in his opinion, CTLS is to hard too land for newbies. This school recommends a 35 hour package with boarding for two weeks. I'm just not sure if two weeks to train in 2 different aircrafts.

Also about expenses, every sport pilot training school promote 3500 to 400 package, but in reality ( I called a bunch of them), they admitted that around 30 hours training average which added to expenses about 5500 to 6000.

thank you all in advance
SportCubJim

Cost

Post by SportCubJim »

Don't start with a fixed cost or fixed time required. A fixed goal can create unneeded pressure or frustration. Success and safety come at their own pace.

If your plane is the CTLS I would expect the average new pilot to need more than 30 hours to be exam ready. Also, the idea of learning first on the 172 then transitioning to a different plane doesn't make sense to me. It will add cost and time.

Do some research. I started on the Ct and gave up last year in frustration at 50 hours. This spring I gave it one more chance in a Sport Cub. The difference in landing was night and day better for me. I have about 5 hours on the Cub. I have soloed and feel now confident that the finish line is near.

Disclaimer: the Ct is a fine plane mastered by many. For me, the CT was difficult to land on the shorter grass strip at my field. The Sport Cub bleeds speed quicker and the landing gear is more forgiving.
Jim
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

seems pretty high to me. By me you can get a ppl for 5 to 6 grand. I might be different but i got my license with 15 hours with instructor and 5 solo. I soloed on my eigth hour. My total cost was around 1600 but that was 3 years ago too. Anyway welcome aboard and hope you achieve your dream.
"Keep on Draggin"
ming1000

Post by ming1000 »

Thank you guys.

The school with ctls was an established one that can do instrument rating; it's air strip is concrete ils precision. I hope this would be a little better than grass strip.

I couldn't find any school had a better deal
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

Good luck and welcome.
I am another who finds the ctsw difficult to land. I have 60 hours from the 70's including my solo cross countries in 152's. I decided to give sport pilot a go and the only light sport in town was a fd ctsw. My instructor also said that this is not a plane for beginners. After 14 hours in the ct I went out and flew a Symphony (not a light sport) and with 2 hours my confidence was back. I then went back to the ct and it is still a hand full and personally I won't bother with it anymore. . I have found a Remos gx that I like and hope to get my sport license in.
Look around, light sport is in it's infancy so some things will be difficult. Also don't be afraid to train some in the 172, I think it will help lay a foundation and hey it's flying.
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Welcome to the boards and good luck on your training. I also believe the amount you were quoted is a bit on the high side. I think you should be able to get your SP ticket for around $3,500.00.
ming1000

Post by ming1000 »

I'm still not sure about any price listed by flight school. I found a whole bunch that are just $3500, but these are based on the FAA minimium requirement which is 15 dual plus 5 hours solo.

I talked to some of them, no matter what plane they use, they admitted that 30 hours training is about average.
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

I can attest to the 30hrs is about right. I am at 25.1hrs right now and will
finish up about 5hrs according to my instructor. A lot of this will depend on
how often you can fly. I try to fly at least twice a week but with work,
weather and life it does not always happen. My total cost will be in the
$4500.00 range when all is said and done.

Good luck and safe landings!

Gene