Hello From Destin,FLorida!!!!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

tyler0421

Hello From Destin,FLorida!!!!

Post by tyler0421 »

Hello, My name is Tyler. I was born and raised here in Destin(24 years). I have recently in the past year or so grown an interest in flying. I think living next to an airport and the fact that I like to travel definatly play part in my interest. I have never in my life been in a small plane though and don't know much about them. I'm not sure where to start. I dont know if I should start with a LSA license or go straight for my PPL. I know eventually I want my PPL but, I think I would rather go for MY LSAL first and then go for my PPL later. Would this be smart money wise?? Or should I go for th PPL first? I also would like to try to find some books to start reading to get familiar with terms and more familiar with planes and how they work.. Anyone have any recomendations??????
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Welcome to the boards Tyler.

I would say the first thing you need to do is a Discovery Flight. This will give you an opportunity to get up in a smaller plane and see what it is like. I warn you though, this is often all it takes to get you hooked. It won't be long after that and you will be taking lessons and looking at airplanes to buy.

The next step is to determine the frequency, need and type of flying you will be doing. Understanding the differences between the Sport Pilot certificate and the PPL will help.

A full listing of restrictions and requirements can be found here in the forums.

If you ever plan, or think you might plan, to move up to the PPL make sure you do your SP training with a CFI and not a CFIS. All training given by a CFI can be used towards the progression of a PPL if listed by the CFI. A CFIS can only train you for Sport Pilot and if you chose to continue to the PPL you would have to start over.

There is a lot of great information on the forums here and a lot of very knowledgable people. Check out some of the listing and I am sure you will get a lot of answers to your questions.