Hello all! From Phoenix AZ

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

problematique

Hello all! From Phoenix AZ

Post by problematique »

Looking to step in this world of sport flying! Checking out some schools right now, any ideas would be appreciated. Anyone out here flyin in HOT Arizona? Riding this Goldwing is the closest I've got to flying :-)
So far Ive seen hourly rates from CFI's that range from $120 - $150 along with mention about ground training. What I don't understand is how exactly the hourly rates for flying time correlate with ground instruction? It seems like everything is inclusive but there is a LOT of ground time. Is there typically a breakdown? Do the schools use a specific method? Sorry, I just want to make sure I go about this right- Im very systematic.
~Hope- It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength and our greatest weakness. ~
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Welcome to the boards.

I have found that schools operate differently on ground school, flight time and fees. My advice is that when you are ready go in prepared. Get all the information you need to study for the test, I personally used the Gleim Sport Pilot Kit, and be prepared when you begin your training. You will find you spend a lot less time in ground school and more time in the air. There are less expensive ways to complete this task but the Gleim Kit had everything together that I needed. It even came with a test preperation CD that prepares you for the exam. Some schools offer the package as an all inclusive price and others offer it on an hourly basis. Just do the math and get what works best for you. The flight school I used in Florida was awesome and worked with me on an hourly basis. Since I bought my own plane half way through the program it saved me a lot on rental fees and the school only charged me for the time I used.

Good luck on your search and I hope you continue with your aviation goal.
problematique

Post by problematique »

Cool, thanks for the info. What do you think about the Jeppessen pilot kit?
~Hope- It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength and our greatest weakness. ~
scottj

Ground Training

Post by scottj »

Many student pilots think that they can skip "ground school" or learn all they need to learn by reading a book. This will teach you how to pass the FAA multiple choice Knowledge Exam, but it will not teach you how to be, think, act, and fly like a safe aviator.

A good ground school is the foundation of your flight training. When you study with other student pilots, at any level of certification, you will "learn" vastly more knowledge than by doing it by yourself.

Many instructors do not understand this basic concept about teaching and they allow their students be cheated out of this part of their aviation education. If your instructor does not charge you for "ground training" he is diminishing the value of his education and most likely yours. You get what you pay for...

Scott
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
problematique

Post by problematique »

OK, so based on the last post I'm going to deduce these "pilot kits" are some form of workaround to skip ground school? So I should just wait for proper ground school training and skip the kits- OR are you saying I need both - but make sure I get proper ground training as well?
scottj

Which Kit

Post by scottj »

I am saying... you need both... books and a school. BUT ask your CFI first which book he wants you to use. Nothing worse than when a student brings me his choice of books and asks me to teach him. Then I have to spend my time adapting my course syllabus to his OUTDATED book that he bought off Craigs List.
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
problematique

Re: Which Kit

Post by problematique »

scottj wrote:I am saying... you need both... books and a school. BUT ask your CFI first which book he wants you to use. Nothing worse than when a student brings me his choice of books and asks me to teach him. Then I have to spend time adapting my course syllabus to his book that he bought off Craigs List.
Ah, ok, I see.
Well I found a school nearby- Alliance Flight school. I will find out if the books are included in their pricing. Thanks for the help.
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

You also need to be wary of flight schools padding the bill. There are some out there that will try to bill you for more than you really need. I have personally seen students frustrated with other schools because they have 40 or 50 hours in and the school is telling them they need more. They have gone to another school that completed a stage check to find out the pilot was more than knowledgable and safe enough to pass their checkride. After 1 or 2 hours they were scheduled for their checkride and passed with flying colors. You definitely get what you pay for, just don't pay for more than you really need.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

This poses an interesting question: when you go for flight instruction are you looking for the 'hardest' instructor or the 'easiest' one? I have been through flight training many times (with long layoffs in-between). At times, I could show complete competence, at others (those 'bad days') I couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. While not always the case, I think the CFI who says you need more training is more aware of those 'bad' days and only wants to insure the student has mastered the material. A new, different school may only have glimpse of the total picture. (BTW, I look for the 'hard instructor...and usually get my money's worth.)
Dave
AZPilot

Re: Ground Training

Post by AZPilot »

scottj wrote:Many student pilots think that they can skip "ground school" or learn all they need to learn by reading a book. This will teach you how to pass the FAA multiple choice Knowledge Exam, but it will not teach you how to be, think, act, and fly like a safe aviator.

A good ground school is the foundation of your flight training. When you study with other student pilots, at any level of certification, you will "learn" vastly more knowledge than by doing it by yourself.

Many instructors do not understand this basic concept about teaching and they allow their students be cheated out of this part of their aviation education. If your instructor does not charge you for "ground training" he is diminishing the value of his education and most likely yours. You get what you pay for...

Scott
This is wisdom.

The best thing that you can do is keep your costs down is to be well prepared for your lessons. You need instructor feedback, but "spoon feeding" takes more time and therefore costs increase.

If you are just looking for materials for orientation, the Cessna/King CBI Interactive program is probably the best on the market as a "groundschool" as opposed to a memorize the written program. Cessna/King should have the Sport Pilot version by now.
CFIIMEI