After flying hiatus, now researching LSAs

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Jack Tyler

After flying hiatus, now researching LSAs

Post by Jack Tyler »

I'd like to post a few new topics on this forum, perhaps some of them 'old news' to most of you, so an introduction to explain why I'm here might be a good idea. I'm an instrument rated private pilot (land) with a good medical, but my wife and I changed over a decade ago from flying to sailing. After visiting 52 (or was it 53...?) countries and island nations, we are interested in re-entering general aviation, and it sure seems like the LSA 'movement' is where most of the action is these days. Thus, my interest in joining this forum.

I have been spending some time researching LSA aircraft and LSA manufacturers (and for that matter LSA accidents, some of which make for chilling reading). Based on what I've seen so far - and by 'seen', I include video clips of some 'LSA Factories' (aka: hangars) that can be found on mfgrs' websites - it seems to me that two issues that deserve more visibility in the Forum Index are 'safety' and 'manufacturing capability'. I'm not really sure where either of these topics belong in the current Forum architecture. But more to the point, perhaps more discussion about both topics would be a bit more forthcoming if the Index more clearly called attention to them.

E.g. I'm sure some (most? all?) here have already read the FAA's "Light-Sport Aircraft Manufacturer Assessment - Final Report Summary". For those who are somewhat familiar with good manufacturing practices, there are IMO some very worrisome observations & conclusions in that summary. (For a link to the summary - and also a link to the full report - go to: www.bydanjohnson.com/index.cfm?b=6&m=4&i=10). It strikes me that, for now at least, 'Caveat Emptor' should be at the front of one's thinking with respect to LSA aircraft, no matter how appealing a design or pleasing its performance numbers might be. And so that's why I'll be looking for comment & discussion on issues like these.

Thanks already to those of you who've contributed here. It's obvious there is substantial knowledge and experience available here for those of us with a lot to learn.

Jack
St. Pete, FL
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

If my plane comes apart and falls from the sky then it was my time to go. I am very comfortable in the build process my aircraft went through, that is good enough for me. After all, life is just a big IF anyway.
Z06 C5

Post by Z06 C5 »

Sailing and flying, sounds like you know how to have fun....... I'm jealous.

I just got my sport pilot ticket in Sept. and have been flying(renting) a Remos(PIC) and a Diamond 20(dual). Sounds like you already know about small planes, I would take a flight in an LSA and see if you like it.

The Remos is pretty roomy inside and just plain fun with a light control touch...... Plus it is easy on fuel, 5GPH.

Cheers, Robert
eddieki

Post by eddieki »

There is a lot of good old aircraft out there that have proven to be good fliers that don't cost an arm and a leg like the New LSA's. I am taking lessons in a BC12 Taylorcraft. No fancy instruments. But who needs them. VFR is fun and the way to go If don't want to fly great distances. "my opinion LOL"
Good luck Eddieki