Hello!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Targetbuster

Hello!

Post by Targetbuster »

Just a note to introduce myself. I'm a newly minted Pacific Northwest Sport Pilot in the Seattle area and have enjoyed this forum and look forward to participating!

Brian
Sport Pilot
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Welcome to the boards Brian
drseti

Post by drseti »

Congratulations on completing your rating, Brian, and welcome to the forum. As a new pilot, you'll doubtless have questions -- feel free to post them here, and we'll try to answer. And, as a recent graduate, I'm sure you'll have some useful information to contribute to the student pilots here.
Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I'm wondering how SPs fair in the Seattle area. Seems like the weather would be a big problem.

And welcome to the forum.

Ron
Targetbuster

Post by Targetbuster »

rsteele wrote:I'm wondering how SPs fair in the Seattle area. Seems like the weather would be a big problem.

And welcome to the forum.

Ron
Thanks all,

Flying in the PNW is not too bad. I began my training in May of 2010 and completed it in February so I've sampled most of the summer, fall and winter. To tell you the truth, the spring seems to be the worst season I've run in to so far. I feel lucky to have gotten my cehckride in when I did, cause I would have been weathered out for the last month if I hadn't.
One of the real upsides to flying here is that you do HAVE to learn about the weather. There are lots of things happening within a very confined space. Combine that with fairly complex airspace and it is a bit intimidating at first. But all in all, it's been a great place to learn and fly. I feel competent, and that's a real plus.
Sport Pilot
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

What are you flying? I fly a REMOS out of Richland, WA. Where did you get your flight instruction?
Targetbuster

Post by Targetbuster »

bitten192 wrote:What are you flying? I fly a REMOS out of Richland, WA. Where did you get your flight instruction?
I mainly fly the Evektor Sportstar although I have had occassion to fly a tecnam for 10-15 hrs. Also flew a Remos once. I started my training at RNT then my instructor hurt himself so I went to AWO for a while, then finished up at S43. I put in more dual hours than most do, but I received very good instruction in 3 very different airspaces. This really helped me understand the various requirements needed for navigating the region around SEA.
Bet you have alot of great flying days down in the Tri-Cities. One of my goals this summer is to take a cross country to Ea. WA. to see that beautiful side of the state from the air.
Sport Pilot
tu16

Post by tu16 »

Welcome! As a newly minted SP in Seattle area myself (renting Tecnam Sierra in Arlington) it is great to welcome another fellow sport flyer in our beautiful area! Many think of PNW as an IFR country, but I was surprised to find that we have more great VFR days througout a year than I can afford to fly... :) Judging from scheduling charts Tecnam Sierra and Remos are flying noticeably more hours in our flight school than Cessnas - which is a proof that Light Sport Aviation has potentially a bright future in PNW.

Once again - glad to see you here!

Alex.