Hello from Saginaw Texas.

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

jeepinbanditrider

Hello from Saginaw Texas.

Post by jeepinbanditrider »

Hi there from Saginaw, Tx. I live right down the road from Hicks Airfield (T67) and plan on attending my training there at Pro Aircraft. I just got done ordering my text books and some gear I'll need today and can't wait to get in the air and start my training.

I originally just wanted to get my sport pilot cert. but decided to go with the Private Pilots after discussion with some local guys and to keep my options open though I do want to mainly fly Sport Planes.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly and I can add flying to the other things I love and am qualified to do.

A little background-
I've been a Marine for almost 8 years now. Spent my first 5 years working on H-53 Super Stallion Turbines. Now I'm working on Flight Equipment gear at a C-130 unit here in Fort Worth.

My other interests are competitive shooting (USPSA, IDPA), riding motorcycles, camping, and spinning tools on anything that has wheels and a motor.
drseti

Re: Hello from Saginaw Texas.

Post by drseti »

jeepinbanditrider wrote:can't wait to get in the air and start my training.
We're happy to have you on the forums. Welcome!
I originally just wanted to get my sport pilot cert. but decided to go with the Private Pilots
Many of my students get the Sport Pilot rating first, and then continue on for the Private. Disadvantage is a little more cost (two written exams, two checkrides). Advantage is you can fly for fun, and take a passenger, sooner, while working on your Private. If you go this route, make sure you train with an FAR Part 61 Subpart H CFI, or the dual hours will not count toward Private. (We're trying to change it, but that's where the rule stands right now.)
I've been a Marine for almost 8 years now.
Thank you for serving! During my Air Force days (45 yrs ago), my best friends in the whole world were the Marines that protected my base!
My other interests <snip> riding motorcycles,
A lot of us here are bikers. As discussed elsewhere on these Boards, there is positive transfer of learning, which will make you a better pilot.

Welcome aboard!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jeepinbanditrider

Post by jeepinbanditrider »

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
Monkey wrench

Howdy Neighbor

Post by Monkey wrench »

Looking through the posts and noticed your on here. Hope all is well and maybe we can go flying together sometime.

I went over to sycamore strip the other day and talked to the owner. I like him and will probly be taking my training there. Its right down the street from spinks airport.
You can't know where your going until you know where you've been