Hi Everyone

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

cerwindel

Hi Everyone

Post by cerwindel »

Hey all!

I am currently a student.. (Again)

About 10 years ago I went to a part 141 school (Sierra Academy of Aeronautics) in Oakland and unfortunatly had to drop out due to to family reasons.

I racked up almost 60 hours there.. And have 95% of all requirements for my PP, but since I was a youngin I have some BP issues and don't want to risk a deny..

Now I have recently just taken my first flight here in Tracy, Ca, and have decided to go the LSA route.

Anyway,

Thanks for reading!
drseti

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by drseti »

cerwindel wrote:I am currently a student.. (Again)
Congratulations! And may you always remain so.
About 10 years ago I went to a part 141 school (Sierra Academy of Aeronautics)
Sierra was a great school. I wonder if they're still in business?

decided to go the LSA route.
That was a good choice. Although many of the skills you acquired in PP training will transfer to SP, and the hours of dual instruction count, you will note two things: (1) the light wing loading of LSAs means they handle completely differently, and (2) with a ten-year lapse, you'll have accumulated so much rust that you'll essentially be starting all over again. That said, because of your prior experience, you'll likely finish the SP rating in much closer to 20 additional hours than to the national average of 40.

Welcome to the forum. Fly safely, and have fun!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
cerwindel

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by cerwindel »

drseti wrote:
cerwindel wrote:I am currently a student.. (Again)
Congratulations! And may you always remain so.
About 10 years ago I went to a part 141 school (Sierra Academy of Aeronautics)
Sierra was a great school. I wonder if they're still in business?

decided to go the LSA route.
That was a good choice. Although many of the skills you acquired in PP training will transfer to SP, and the hours of dual instruction count, you will note two things: (1) the light wing loading of LSAs means they handle completely differently, and (2) with a ten-year lapse, you'll have accumulated so much rust that you'll essentially be starting all over again. That said, because of your prior experience, you'll likely finish the SP rating in much closer to 20 additional hours than to the national average of 40.

Welcome to the forum. Fly safely, and have fun!
Thanks for the welcome Dr Shuch!

Sierra was in then out then in.. They are now back and fly out of Atwater now on the old base.

Yeah, I flew last weekend to get a refresher and god I felt pretty rusty, some things come back and others don't..

I look forward to the challenge of learning it all again.. I do have some concerns I have run into, but I will toss that into the Training Section.