Hello from Raleigh, NC!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

theskunk

Hello from Raleigh, NC!

Post by theskunk »

Hi guys,

Quick introduction, I've been working toward my ppl for about the last 3-4 months, and turns out i have something that prohibits me from getting a medical. (yes, i've consulted my physician, she believes I am safe to fly, however the FAA will not grant the 3rd class medical).

That being said, I'm working to get my sport pilot license in Raleigh, but I live a little south -- if anybody has leads on rentals/instruction, i'm all ears! They fly the Remos about 1.5 hrs north of me, and the allegro in ktta which is about 1.25 hrs west of me... krdu is about 45 min from me, so unless somebody knows somebody at either 5w5 or nc99, i'm kinda out there!
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Hello and welcome.

I have no idea about local flying options in Raleigh... 1.5 hours would be too much for me. Not the 1.5 but the 5 total hours for a lesson. Do that 4 times a week and I'd be wiped out. I'm driving 45 minutes each way and that's too much - but on the positive side I've started grabbing liveatc.net archive mp3s (in half hour segments) to play during the drive. That helps.

On the instructor front...

If there is a local EAA chapter, attend a meeting and ask around.

If there are any non-FBO pilot shops around (probably not, but maybe), go in and ask. They may have a bulletin board and they probably know all the "real" instructors (not necessarily the time builders) around.

There are a lot of instructors who don't advertise, or advertise only with a shingle out in front of their hangar, and aren't affiliated with an FBO/school. Only way you'll find them is word of mouth.

Bummer about the medical hiccup. I assume you've checked out the AOPA certification/special issuance info and decided it isn't worth the $$$$/bother.
ka7eej

Sanford, NC

Post by ka7eej »

Try B-Bar-D in Sanford, NC .Just south west Raleigh.. The are the Builder of Allegro 2007. I have a Allegro 2000 and love it!!!

http://b-bar-daviation.com/
http://allegrolsa.com

Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

Quick question about the allegro... What type of control arrangement does it have? Is it just a single stick down the center of the aircraft? And how does the throttle and brake work?

Thanks for the info!
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Yes one center stick. Throttle is by your left knee for left seat and your right knee for the right seat. Break is like a bicycle brake on the center stick. I have never flown anything else so its all I know and seems easy. I am right handed so sitting on the left with stick in right hand seems natural. I have sat on the right (with my son flying on the left and it felt weird) My first CFI was left handed and he thought it was all very natural to him. I guess it can be learned either way. It can be flown from either side. Of course peddles on each side. Flies like most LSA's.. Let me know what else you want to know!!!

Brian

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/061575.html
http://allegrolsa.com/video
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

Flew an allegro 2007 now -- and frankly I found it to be a bit different than anything else I've flown thus far. I'm going to try to fly the 2000 sometime this week, as its got almost 3500 hrs on it, I'll see if the controls feel any looser/different/etc.

I've also got some links to a remos gx and a pipersport now. I'll need to start a new thread on the several areas soon as i'm starting to get my pros/cons list together.

I'm still trying to get a ride in a ctls or ctsw in the NC area. I've found one, but they seem to want partial ownership, which simply isn't an option for me.
mhaleem

light sport in raleigh area

Post by mhaleem »

Hello. I live near raleigh and would like part ownership in a ctsw. Can you provide info. I am wanting to become a CFI Sport. Thanks
Tuskegee U Alum
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

Here's the link on controller -- let me know how it works out.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 199699.htm?