Hello from Bel Air, MD

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

CBKERR

Hello from Bel Air, MD

Post by CBKERR »

This is Brian and I have been reading all the great post and am activated. I am a 25 hr student pre solo. Working on landings now. I train at W29 bay bridge airport with Chesapeake sport pilot and they are awesome. Since I'm working on the landing phase, what has been the most helpful things that help you to be consistent. Look forward to typing to you about my training and. Learning from every source available.

Brian
drseti

Re: Hello from Bel Air, MD

Post by drseti »

CBKERR wrote:Since I'm working on the landing phase, what has been the most helpful things that help you to be consistent.
Welcome aboard, Brian. You're at the country's top LSA flight school -- they have good planes and highly experienced CFIs, so I'm sure you're in good hands. I find the most important consideration for achieving consistent landings is rigid airspeed control. If you can hold precisely the same (correct) airspeed down final, on every landing, all the way into the flare, the landings will start to become more consistent and routine. (There are exceptions, of course, such as in the presence of gusty winds when you have to add half the gust factor to your approach speed -- but consistent normal landings will require you to always hold the same approach speed.)

Another thing to remember is that your airspeed control in an LSA is the elevator, not the throttle! The throttle is your altitude control in slow flight (very counter-intuitive, especially when your car driving instincts kick in -- you probably thought throttle controls speed...)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CBKERR

Post by CBKERR »

Thank Paul, went up twice today and landings are getting much better. Once I get the round out / flare down they will be a whole lot better. I'm with you on the power is altitude and pitch is speed. I fly a pretty stable approach it's that round out but I will nail it with more practice. Just gotta realize that I'm not a pilot yet, but I will be!!

Brian