Hello all! Newbee here So. California

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

GMO

Hello all! Newbee here So. California

Post by GMO »

I just wanted to say hello to all. I just recently decided to dedicate myself over the next few months to getting my PPL or SL. I'm 45 and have about 55 hours (10 years ago) of flying instruction in a Piper Cherokee 140. I had done my solo and cross country requirements at the time but never took the check ride as life interrupted. (Feel very bad about it as I was real close to making it happen)...I recently just went up in a 140 and feel I really need to start from square one, although I did pretty good and felt at home...I'm very rusty.
Anyway, I just discovered this forum a few days ago and have been doing a lot of reading, but much more to go and learn; great information and respectful debate here guys (and gals), I look forward to contributing in the future.
I'm trying to decide (and I apologize if redundant as I know from what reading I've done here so far some of this may have been covered) which certificate to go for at this point. I simply just love to fly, want to stay local and it seems to me the privledges of a SL would suit me just fine. My problem is anyone I've talked to local doesn't seem to know much about it, doesn't provide the training, or asks what the heck do you want the SL for - just go for your PPL. The other thing is I have a friend with a PA-28 140 and would have access to it for training. I know there's a difference in the way this airplane handles compared to light sport airplanes and even if I decided to go for the PPL and got it, I would still have to receive training in a light sport. I also understand if I got the PPL and eventually purchased a light sport airplane (which I plan to do over the next couple of years), I could let my 3rd class medical lapse and still enjoy all the privledges of a light sport cert. Also, I was wondering, is there any talk about including the Cessna 150 or Piper 140 into the light sport category and if I decide to just go for the SL can I do the initial training/requirements in the 140 and does it matter what type of CFI gives me the instruction?

Sorry for the long ramble, as I said above I have much more reading and updating myself on the regs, etc....decisions, decisions.

Thanks, GMO
comperini

Post by comperini »

Welcome to the forum.

There are several places here in southern California that do offer Sport Pilot training. Here's a few places you can look, for flight schools:

http://www.sportpilot.org/instructors/index.html
http://www.bydanjohnson.com/index.cfm?b=8

To answer your questions about 152's and the like being included in the LSA category... I would say no, don't plan on it. The LSA maximum weight was already increased once (the FAA originally proposed a lower number than the current 1,320 lbs). No matter what max number is chosen, there will always be "yeah, but do you think they will raise it to include XXX". So no, I wouldn't ever bet money on them increasing the weight again.

As long as you have your logbooks from those old days, you're in business. Sounds like you already have the required solo and solo X-C time done. My guess is that you could complete your SP ticket sooner than the private.

Not a lot of SLSA rentals out there (there's a few), so if you are looking for rentals, going the private route may open the doors to more aircraft to you.

Right now as we speak, the rules state that instruction received from a Sport Pilot instructor don't count toward private. I do believe that will change one of these days. Unfortunately, as you already found out, many of the "private pilot instructors" don't want anything to do with sport pilot, which is unfortunate.

Yes, even if you intend to get the Sport Pilot certificate, your training can be done by a private pilot instructor in a plane such as the 152 or whatever. And if you had a medical, you could also solo that plane (but it sounds like your solo time is already done). The only requirement is that you take your practical test in a light sport aircraft.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
GMO

Post by GMO »

Bob,
Thanks for the welcome. I also checked out your website...fantastic w/great info. Too bad we are not a bit closer, I'm down in Riverside, and have flown out of Corona, KAJO most of the time but initially started my training out of John Wayne/Orange County Airport KSNA. Also like your Eurofox. I've done some research on LSA's and like it a lot...matter of fact there's an article about it in AOPA Magazine Jan 2012. I've pasted the Url here:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot ... otrek.html

Yes, I do still have my log books, student pilot cert, etc. I figured as much regarding the gross wt restrictions LSA category regarding the Cessna 150 and Piper Cherokee 140.

Thanks also info regarding training/CFI...I'm not sure what I'm gong to do yet.

Regards,
GMO
drseti

Post by drseti »

Welcome to the forums, GMO. Glad you're getting back in the sky. SP or PP, you can't go wrong!

See my website for answers to just about any question you may have at this point:

Sport Pilot FAQs: http://avsport.org/about/sportfaq.htm
Student Pilot FAQs: http://avsport.org/about/faq.htm
"Ask Dr. Wilbur": http://avsport.org/askdr/index.html
and a ton of other stuff linked from the Main Menu: http://avsport.org/menu.htm

Any other questions? Just ask!

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

GMO,

You might want to consider the Recreational Pilot option. It would allow you to train and fly in the 140 and also any LSA. Check ride would be a bit easier. RP allows you to fly 180hp or less, simple, 2-4 seater aircraft with 1 pax. I would guess you already have all the requirements - just need to knock the rust off with check ride prep lessons.

You can get the 50nm and ATC restrictions removed with endorsements after you get ticket. Or you may have already demonstrated enough to have these removed anyway.

AOPA/EAA are working on an exemption proposal that would remove the medical requirement for an RP. Probably 2+ years away (if it is accepted).
dave
GMO

Post by GMO »

Thanks Paul & Dave for the info and welcome. Plenty to think about and I'm sure I will have many questions going forward as I get back into this. Thanks also for the links to your website Paul! Very informative and I spent some time there last night doing some reading. I enjoyed your "ask Dr. Wilbur."

For the moment, I'll try and educate myself as to the recent rules & regulations so I don't waste members time with questions asked and answered already...I apologize in advance, as I'm sure I probably will to some degree.

Regards,
GMO
GMO

Post by GMO »

I've decided to go ahead and get my 3rd class medical and continue my training toward the PP in the Cherokee 140 for now due lack of LSA close by and availability of LSA CFI or is that (CFIS) I believe.

Also have been thinking down the road a bit and looking at the new Kitfox S-LSA or the Aerotrek A240. I'll start a new topic over in LSA Aircraft. I'm curious what other's thoughts are about these two airplanes.
stevenr

Post by stevenr »

That's what I'd do. Get your PP. Then you can fly LSA planes if you like, or keep training for further ratings.
drseti

Post by drseti »

GMO wrote:I've decided to go ahead and get my 3rd class medical
I hope you didn't encounter any difficulties in obtaining your medical certificate.
due lack of LSA close by and availability of LSA CFI
Shortage of available Sport Pilot eligible aircraft for training is one of the main factors keeping the LSA movement from reaching its full potential. As for instructors, any current CFI can provide training toward the Sport Pilot license (though, sadly, many elect not to).

That said, Riverside is the home to EAA Chapter #1, and therefore one would expect it to be a hotbed of LSA activity. Head out to FlaBob airport and ask around! I know for a fact that Ray Stits (a legend within EAA) still flies LSAs there (at the age of ninety-something).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
GMO

Re: Hello all! Newbee here So. California (update 6/1/13)

Post by GMO »

Hello all, just wanted to pop back in (it's been quite a while since I logged in), my apologies. I mainly just wanted to say thank you for the previous advise and encouragement received here.

Since my last posting, I did get my 3rd class medical as I decided to go for my PP in the Cherokee and earned my wings in December. I've been flying pretty regularly out of KAJO (Corona, CA) and have accumulated 150 hours now. Just recently decided to try and earn my instrument rating and actually going on my second flight lesson with CFI tomorrow.

I've been having a great time since getting my cert and I'm extremely happy I made the deicision after many years to finally get it done. :D

My thoughts since original posting have changed a little bit too. Now I'm thinking about possibly building an RV...probably the 12, but - I'm still not sure...I'll post my thoughts on this in another thread when I know exactly what they are. :roll:

Also, I'm going to be flying from Socal to Oshkosh this year, I've always dreamed of making this trip and really looking forward to it. Actually just starting my flight planning, etc. this evening.

Anyway that's the update for now. Happy flying! Thanks again.

Regards,
GMO