Out of Independence Oregon. Hello

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Fltsimken1

Out of Independence Oregon. Hello

Post by Fltsimken1 »

Hello fellow pilots and students. My name is Ken and I had been wanting to learn to fly all of my life. Finally at the age of 53 I started Training for a sport pilot ticket. I financed thru Pilot Finance
and set about my journey. I got as far as my 1st. Solo and instructed x country and low and behold
my financed funds ran dry on a Sunday and I got laid off my job the next Monday. :(

After a brief period I went back to work and decided to pursue a Private Pilot license. So I set out and got my medical out of the way and went to Independence State Airport to Nutsch Aviation. A great place to learn to fly I might add. Finally on 07/15/2012 I passed my check ride and fulfilled my dream.

Today I fly when weather permits by renting a little C150 from Nutsch Aviation. He also has a vintage tail dragger that is in the light sport class. I have yet to fly that plane. In my sport training I flew a Comos Ikarus C42 with a Rotax 100 hp. A very easy to fly light sport with a temperamental nose gear.

My new goal is to go for a light Sport Instructors rating and perhaps buy a Aeroprakt A22.
The reason I am here is to discuss the practicality of such a venture. Not so much to make money
but to help pay for my new found habit. I,m here to meet new pilots and friends.

If anybody wants to jump in and tell me I'm crazy then please do. That is why I am here as well to get help from the experienced and seasoned community. I will take all the help I can get. Knowledge is all powerful. Please help.

Thanks,
A fellow pilot. Ken
drseti

Re: Out of Independence Oregon. Hello

Post by drseti »

Fltsimken1 wrote:. Finally on 07/15/2012 I passed my check ride and fulfilled my dream.
Congratulations, Ken! Glad to have you on the forums.
. He also has a vintage tail dragger that is in the light sport class.
Care to tell us what kind? I'm an old tail dragged pilot myself. (Whether that means pilot flying old taildraggers, or old pilot flying taildraggers, I leave to you to decide.)
If anybody wants to jump in and tell me I'm crazy then please do.

Well, of course you're crazy! We all are - that's why we're here. :wink:

For an overview of what it's like to run your own flight school, see this flowchart:

http://avsport.org/graphics/flight_school.pdf

Welcome aboard and Safe Skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US