Hello from TN

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

hirschr

Hello from TN

Post by hirschr »

Iv'e been lurking here for a while, and decided it is time to post! My name is Randy - I'm 44, and I live in Chattanooga TN. Funny how this whole aviation addiction seems to be a life long thing... Many moons ago I became an A&P, and worked in that field for a short two years out of college. I also started on my PPL, made it as far as my first solo and then ran out of money to finish. Down the rode 20 years and change I just had to scratch the itch, last year it was a few hours of dual instruction, and the purchase of a project 1946 Ercoupe 415-C. This year I'm taking an LSA vacation in AZ to try and earn a SPL flying Ercoupes. Any experiences in the group with accelerated courses? I'd love to hear how it worked out for you!
FastEddieB

Re: Hello from TN

Post by FastEddieB »

I'm a hop, skip and a jump from you, with my E-LSA Sky Arrow based at Copperhill, TN.

Let me know if you'd like to touch base, and maybe take a quick flight!

[email protected]
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

The school I went to offers accelerated SP training and I know one guy who went through it. He had to because he lives overseas but is American and wanted to get his certificate before going back. He ended up getting his medical and getting his PP but he did it in a LSA. He seemed very happy with the accelerated course. I think it took him a couple weeks to get to the point of being ready for his SP check ride before deciding to get his PP and taking a little bit longer on a subsequent trip back to the states. One of the key advantages he had and I am sure you experienced the first time you started training is the more you can fly in a short period of time the more you retain. To me this is the greatest advantage of the accelerated training. It seems like you have a serious leg up going into the training and should do great. Welcome and good luck.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

I appreciate the offer fasteddieb, I might take you up on that!
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Just a quick update, after two weeks of training in sunny (and occasionally snowy) AZ, I am now a Sport Pilot! Went into it with 20 hours of previous training in a c-150 from way back in 1989, added 12 hours of dual and 6 solo in an Ercoupe an passed my check ride today!
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Congratulations. Welcome to the club. Let us know how your adventures progress.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well done, Randy! The 'Coupe is a pleasure to fly. Did you train in one with the rudder pedal STC, or did you end up with a restriction on your license?

If you haven't already done so, you should really join the Ercoupe Owners Club. Very helpful bunch of folks there.

Good luck with your restoration. You've probably gotten to know Univair very well by now. Jim Dyer is quite an Ercoupe afficianado.

If you ever fly your 'Coupe up my way (central PA), I'd love to see it (and will gladly show you the one I instruct in).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

I have the dreaded two control restriction. Which is ironic in my case because overall I have more time in a C150 than a coupe. My project coupe has the rudder kit but I plan to go to the two control setup. IMO that is part of what makes the bird unique. I am a member of the EOC, great bunch of folks there! If I ever get out to your neck of the woods I will look you up. Thanks!