Hello from Pleasanton California

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

RTJLaing

Hello from Pleasanton California

Post by RTJLaing »

I fly a GRYF MD3 Rider (Flyitalia) out of LVK -- Livermore California. Tail number is N289AV. I bought the plane in February 2011 and have enjoyed flying it around the Bay Area, Central Valley & Sierra foothills.

I didn't start training for my private license until I retired from Chevron Corporation after nearly 40 years of international service. I am a Canadian geophysicist and had spent many hours flying geological reconnaissance field work from the right seat. But for me, flying was not a life long passion that retirement finally allowed to blossom. Rather I was just looking for something that would be challenge and have a mix of technical knowledge and practical skills to learn. My brother-in-law from Indiana gave me an intro flight as a retirement present --- and that was enough to set the hook. Thanks again Tom!

I trained with Ahart Aviation at LVK for my SEL private pilot license. A bit later I added a SES rating, as well as tail wheel, high performance and complex endorsements. Basically I was trying to understand what I liked to do (mission, equipment etc). That eventually lead me to almost buying a Zlin Savage -- but the deal fell through. Then kind of on the rebound, I found the MD3 Rider. Turns out it was a fortunate event all around. Great plane for looking out the widow at the geology!

I haven't met many LSA pilots in my area -- and even fewer with Rotex engines. So I am hoping the sport pilot talk community can help me with both technical questions -- and ideas for flight adventures around my area.

Cheers
drseti

Re: Hello from Pleasanton California

Post by drseti »

RTJLaing wrote:I fly a GRYF MD3 Rider (Flyitalia) out of LVK --
Welcome aboard! So glad you're finally living the dream.

You're making me homesick. I lived for decades in the Bay Area, and flew in and out of LVK many times. I was one of the founding members of 1C9 (Frazier Lake Airpark, Hollister) 30+ years ago. Still have a hangar there, and get back about 3 times a year.

Lots of great folks on the forums who can answer all your questions. Fly safely, and check in often.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US