Checking in from Utah!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

pglavin

Checking in from Utah!

Post by pglavin »

Hey!

I'm Paul, just about to start up sport pilot training at UT99 in Fairfield, UT starting at the end of the week. So excited! I'll documenting my progress with flight training on my website here: http://www.thereasonablelife.com/how-to-learn-to-fly/ ...which I'm hoping will wind up being a good resource for sport pilot students wanting a detailed, low cost, chronological instructions for the best way to become a sport pilot. I've got a bunch of stuff in there already about the knowledge test, picking an instructor, etc. It would be really great though if you guys could give feedback on what I can be doing better (with the site or with my training).

If not, I'm still just pumped to be a part of this community and can't wait to fly!!
drseti

Re: Checking in from Utah!

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Paul. You're just starting along an exciting and fulfilling path. Anything we can do to help, just ask.

Your goal (3.5 months to license, under $3.5k) is ambitious, and may or may not prove realistic for you. Either way, you should not become discouraged.

The opening quiz on your blog is incomplete. First question (have a driver's license) is a good start. You need to follow it up with three other questions:

Are you healthy enough to drive?
Have you applied for an FAA medical certificate and been refused?
Have you held an FAA medical certificate and had it revoked?

If yes to the first two questions, and no to the second two, then you may qualify to become a Sport Pilot.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
pglavin

Post by pglavin »

Thank you! I did make it an intentionally ambitious goal as I wanted wind up with as low a total cost as possible just to show people that it can be done (and how it can be done). I can afford to spend a good chunk more than $3.5k, but I'll still be pushing hard for this goal. I guess I'll find out soon whether or not it was feasible.

I updated that opening survey with the condition that you have not failed or been rejected from an FAA medical. I think it is a little more informative now. Thanks for your feedback on that.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well, that SD-1 is interesting (as far as one-place kitplanes go). Just one little problem with the website. Under "contact us", the US distributor gave a street address, but forgot to include a city and state! (I dug around a bit. It's Salt Lake City UT). Given that oversight, I'd be a bit concerned about the completeness of the build instructions. :(
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
pglavin

Post by pglavin »

Hmm which website are you referring to? I'm looking at the contact pages for both the SkyCraft website and the Czech Manufacturer's sdplanes.com website, and can't seem to find what you're talking about. Please link me to the page.

Having built an SD-1 myself, I can assure you that the build instructions are very complete :)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Paul, the page in question is http://m.skycraftairplanes.com/#!Contact|002. On my iPad using Safari, it shows a street address, but no city or state. :(
Glad to hear your build instructions were complete! :)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Mtaylor

Post by Mtaylor »

pglavin wrote:Hey!

I'm Paul, just about to start up sport pilot training at UT99 in Fairfield, UT starting at the end of the week. So excited! I'll documenting my progress with flight training on my website here: http://www.thereasonablelife.com/how-to-learn-to-fly/ ...which I'm hoping will wind up being a good resource for sport pilot students wanting a detailed, low cost, chronological instructions for the best way to become a sport pilot. I've got a bunch of stuff in there already about the knowledge test, picking an instructor, etc. It would be really great though if you guys could give feedback on what I can be doing better (with the site or with my training).

If not, I'm still just pumped to be a part of this community and can't wait to fly!!

GOOD STUFF ! I looked at you page and that is a good way. New guy's need to check this page out. It can save allot of money.
pglavin

Post by pglavin »

drseti, thanks for pointing that out. We're in the midst of a complete website overhaul as we're launching ready-to-fly production soon. Our current site isn't optimized for mobile use, but it definitely will be after the overhaul so that mistake will be fixed.

Mtaylor, thank you! Really glad you liked the site.