Wisconsin newbie

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

TLYNCH

Wisconsin newbie

Post by TLYNCH »

How do I locate someone in Wisconsin who has either a Legend or RV12? Would like to see one....planning to buy .....

I'm an LSA student .... Not sure what to buy but heard these two are the only new insurable LSAs.

Thank you,
Tim
drseti

Re: Wisconsin newbie

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Tim. Not sure about the Legend Cub, but to locate an RV12 you might try the vansairforce website. Don't know what you mean by insurable - there are various insurance brokers who handle LSAs, and most insure Flight Design, Evektor, Sport Cruiser, Remos, Tecnam, and a host of others. If you're an EAA member, you might want to talk to their agency, Falcon. (if not, you may want to join. They're very helpful to homebuilders, and have done a good job promoting LSA.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

There has been talk of some LSAs not being insurable due to thier landing incident record.
I can guarantee Tecnams are easy to insure based on helping several customers get insurance.
I have heard the RV12 has a fairly good record also so you are likely correct on that one.

If you have any interest in a Tecnam I would be happy to help you find an aircraft to fit your needs.
I am close to you in Minnesota.

Jake
TLYNCH

Post by TLYNCH »

Jake
How is Tecnam on grass strip?
I thought tec would be good but.... Where do you get it repaired? Why would say they don't insure them? Also thought I saw a few crashes?

Where can I see one? I like the open canopy.

Thankyou, Tim
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

TLYNCH wrote:How do I locate someone in Wisconsin who has either a Legend or RV12? Would like to see one....planning to buy .....

I'm an LSA student .... Not sure what to buy but heard these two are the only new insurable LSAs.

Thank you,
Tim
You can search the FAA registrations data base, but unless you're somewhat experienced it can be a crap shoot as to whether you find anything. And, many experimentals are registerd in the builder's name, so RV-12 wouldn't necessarily find them.

Still, it's better than nothing.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

The state/county one can take a while. make/model is perhaps worth a try but has the problems mentioned above.
You might also see if the state DOT has any kind of searchable record.
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

Landings.com gives you access to the same database without registering each time you make in inquiry.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Tim,

Tecnams are very good on grass strips. There are alot of grass strips in italy where they are made and I myself fly off a grass strip at my farm in Minnesota.

As far a service there is an excellent Tecnam service center in Reedsberg WI. Otherwise all you need is a shop that is rotax certified and there are several in wisconsin.

Not sure if you read my message correctly but Tecnams are about the easiest LSA to insure based on their record of very few landing accidents or incidents when compared to other LSAs.

If you like Low wings the Tecnam Sierra is an excellent aircraft that is fully certified in europe and is acrobatic rated. This means it is a well tested and built strong. Tecnam Just announced a new Low wing LSA so there are some Sierras out there at good prices.

Jake
TLYNCH

Post by TLYNCH »

Jake
I tried to answer you but nothing shows up. What is PM reply mean?

Where are you in Minn. would like to see a Tecnam Sierra. Any advice?

Tim
David

Post by David »

TLYNCH wrote:Jake
I tried to answer you but nothing shows up. What is PM reply mean?

Where are you in Minn. would like to see a Tecnam Sierra. Any advice?

Tim

PM = Private Message
TLYNCH

Post by TLYNCH »

Jake
Thank you. Where are you in Minn? Would be good to see a Tecnam.

Where did you are the accident rate for Tecnam vs. other LSA?

Tim
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Flight Design is also another choice that insurance shouldn't be a problem. There are about 400 Flight Design aircraft flying in the states, and no insurance problems that I know of. They have pretty good parts support and several service centers too. Tom
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Tim,

I am in Mankato MN and have a P2008 High wing here now.
You can look up LSA accidents on the FAA database.

Remember there are both accidents and incidents. Accidents will be in the faa database but incidents will not be.
Many aircraft have been serioiusly damaged or totaled and not recorded as an accident in the FAA database.

The easiest way to find the safest LSAs is to call a few insurance companys and ask which onse have the best records.

Tailwheels and all carbon aircraft will be at the bottom of the list.

Mark
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

jake wrote:The easiest way to find the safest LSAs is to call a few insurance companys and ask which onse have the best records.

Tailwheels and all carbon aircraft will be at the bottom of the list.

Mark
Mark,
I find this statement interesting. Do you mean you have done this?
I can see why LSA tail wheel would have incidents due to ground looping and being so light, but I'm a little surprised the accident rate is much higher. Can you tell us anything about this?

Can you explain why carbon fiber aircraft have a higher rate, and any brands/models that you know of?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Carbon fiber composites are more difficult to repair than sheetmetal, and take special training, tools, materials, and equipment. So in the event of an incident, an insurance company is more likely to have to total the plane. I would expect insurance rates to reflect this.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

drseti wrote:Carbon fiber composites are more difficult to repair than sheetmetal, and take special training, tools, materials, and equipment. So in the event of an incident, an insurance company is more likely to have to total the plane. I would expect insurance rates to reflect this.
That makes sense. This implies there is a less than perfect correlation between accidents/incidents and insurance company perspectives on the industry. Also not surprising.