Hello from Los Angeles

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

cpubiz

Hello from Los Angeles

Post by cpubiz »

I'm restarting my flying after 20 years of spending all the time and money on the kids. Got the wifey interested by pointing out that the CTLSi that I want has a parachute built in. I'm currently a licensed pilot, but out of medical by about 18 years. I'm 64 (as in "will ya still need me...") and 50 pounds overweight, so was worrying a little about re-upping the medical.

You can imagine how shocked :shock: and delighted :D I was to find out this little two-seater LSA is flyable with my driver's license as a medical certificate.

So wife and I are both losing weight now, while putting together finances for a September purchase. If we hit our weight goals, we'll be able to carry about 15 extra gallons of fuel instead of the extra flab. In the CTLSi airplane, that would be something like 4 additional hours of cruise time.

Losing that weight, I may also become brave enough to go see the AME for a medical and thereby gain additional relief from limitations of FAR 61.315(c).

Well, that's me. And I'm looking forward to meeting the pilots here on the board. I've already found some great answers to my own concerns just by reading the discussions.

See ya upstairs!
jnmeade

Re: Hello from Los Angeles

Post by jnmeade »

If you flunk your medical, you can not fly the LSA.

Yes, you got that right. You can fly on your driver's license right now as your medical expired but was not denied. But, if it is ever denied, you must get it reinstated to fly (with the exception of ultra-lights, gliders).

With your pilot certificate and driver's license, you can fly the LSA or equivalent (e.g., J3 Cub) up to 10,000 MSL or 2000 AGL, whichever is higher, carry one passenger, fly only from the beginning of civil morning twilight to the end of evening civil twilight, can't fly IMC or over a deck (must be able to see the ground).

There is a little more in 61.3XX which you might want to read.

I'm just being the first to warn you - DON'T FLUNK A MEDICAL.
cpubiz

Re: Hello from Los Angeles

Post by cpubiz »

That is my reading as well. But to complicate matters, my Commercial Instrument Airplane ticket requires a second-class medical for full privileges. I figure after losing the excess weight, I'll go see my own doctor for a physical, stress test, etc. If that comes out well enough, I might just try for the aviation medical. It will be the old risk-reward tradeoff once again.

Thanks for the good advice!