Sport License in progress!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

GravityKnight

Sport License in progress!

Post by GravityKnight »

Hi everyone!

Always loved flying and airplanes more than anything, dad had a Cessna 150 with a Lycoming swap when I was young, and now has a quicksilver gt500. When I was 20, i started taking private pilot lessons but couldn't afford it at the time, then got caught up in the car/drag racing world. Built a lot of motors, turbo setups, did a lot of racing etc. and had a lot of fun but finally decided I have had enough of all that nonsense.. back to flying. I'm 30 now, working on my Sport license, flying in a Flight Design CTSW and a CTLS out of KCOS in Colorado (so I'm learning the Radio as well). Very exciting.. though I've had a lot of delays with the weather not playing a long / unexpected maintenance etc.
tji_ctsw.jpg
tji_ctsw.jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 8635 times
I'm interested in flying for fun 90% of the time, and maybe doing a bit of traveling now and then. I am also building my own strip. I have around 1800 usable feet to work with. I live at one end, and my folks at the other, so dad and I will both benefit from this... Hard to tell from the picture, but most of the strip is fairly wide.. ranging from about 24ft - 40ft
tji_runway2.jpg
tji_runway2.jpg (58.86 KiB) Viewed 8635 times
In the next year or two, when I can afford it, I'd really like to pick up a Kitfox!

Anyway glad to be on the forum- great resource to have here!
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
114hp zipper rotax 912uls | rotax airbox / custom intake
72" KOOL Scimitar | custom twin exhaust setup
21x8 mains | 18x6 nose / custom fork
MGL avionics | Twin Oil Coolers | other goodies
drseti

Re: Sport License in progress!

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Sir Knight. Happy to have you on the forums. Do keep us updated on your progress.

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Welcome from another newcomer!

From your background, it sounds to me you're a candidate for an RV12, or another home built/assembled airplane.
- Bruce
David

Post by David »

Welcome to the forum. Stick with your training and you will be there in no time. :)
GravityKnight

Post by GravityKnight »

Thanks guys!

Made my first landing at about 4.5hrs. Some crosswind too.. Still got a ways to go with that, but I'm starting to do some landings when the crosswinds aren't too ridiculous (it's been pretty bad this week). At about 5.5 or so hours now, just finished doing turning around a point, s turns and rectangles etc. Been doing some emergency training... probably gave someone a bit of a scare, I picked a nearby highway (not much traffic) to "land" on while doing an practice engine out landing... came down right over the top of someone coming towards us before powering up.. haha.. pretty fun stuff, flying low is where it's at :D Last few days were cancelled due to heavy wind, hopefully I can get in a few hours this weekend!

Thanks for the replies... I'm starting to get comfortable in the plane, so it's becoming a lot more enjoyable. I'm doing most of the radio communication at this point now too.. feels good!! :)
Attachments
First landing in 929CT
First landing in 929CT
929CT.jpg (190.86 KiB) Viewed 8575 times
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Those ground reference maneuvers develop skills you will employ throughout your flying life in pattern work and landings. Be sure to don't treat them as "school maneuvers".

A critical aspect of flying them well is to always know the wind direction and speed. Sometimes you know that, sometimes you have to guess but you get better at it.

Trust your eye and obey the ground. By that, I mean if the ground tells you to shallow or steepen the bank (because you are undershooting or overshooting a turn), do so. If there is any conflict between your brain and your eye, when it comes to VFR flying such as ground reference maneuvers, trust your eye. Obey the ground. Don't waste a lot of time over thinking the issue.

That is not to say you should not understand in detail what you are doing and why it works that way.

Sorry for the pulpit. Ground reference maneuvers are too often treated as a precise maneuver when they should be your basis for staying ahead of your plane in the pattern.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Don't be sorry Jim, those are words of wisdom, or experience, or aviation truism.

Flying the pattern in the spring winds I can't help but be influenced by my crab angles in the pattern needed to keep it square. Even if I am not aware of winds in my conscious mind I am at a subconscious level.

thanks
GravityKnight

Post by GravityKnight »

Definitely good advice. I was putting a lot of it to use yesterday. We went up to practice landings in pretty strong winds - 16 gusting 22 knts. Mostly head, maybe 20 deg left x-wind. But flying the pattern practicing landings brings those maneuvers into a very real life application with those winds. Having to set a pretty serious crab angle on base. It was all in all a lot of fun!

My CFI told me he was jealous, said it took him until 12 hrs to make landings like that. He had his hands crossed in his lap while I did touch and gos! I guess I'm doing well which is exciting (didn't really know where I should be, or what to compare to until he said that).

Landings just kind of clicked yesterday, which feels really good. Should get to fly today, hope to make some more successful landings haha! Up around 7.5 hrs now.

Whether it's part of my 20 hrs or extra, I think I will pay for a few hours of mountain flying training. I'm thinking that would be money well spent.... would you guys agree?
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
GravityKnight

Post by GravityKnight »

My instructor let me fly over my folks tonight!!!! (they are at the other end of the runway/driveway). My Mom got some pictures.... it was windy this evening, made a few landings at a nearby airport, but at the end of the lesson, my instructor had to help with our final landing (wind picked up and was coming in 60 deg to us from the left, 22 knots gusting 28!) That was a little more than I can handle at this point!!!
Buzz2.JPG
Buzz2.JPG (164.9 KiB) Viewed 8493 times
Buzz1.JPG
Buzz1.JPG (166.94 KiB) Viewed 8493 times
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
GravityKnight

Post by GravityKnight »

At 11.5 hours now. Got cleared from a 2nd instructor to solo. Too windy today (24 gusting 30 knots). Wind supposed to be better tomorrow. Scheduled for 6pm. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really nervous!!!
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
designrs

Post by designrs »

Good luck on that first totally solo flight! It's a real thrill to take the plane from hangar to air and back to hangar or ramp all by yourself. The thing I found most challenging on first solo flights was the extra "brain load" of the emotions, even if only subliminal. It wasn't nervousness per say. Just another category of mental multitasking added to the existing multitasking of flying the plane. Found it necessary to push the emotions to the back as much as possible. Have fun, enjoy your huge accomplishment & be safe!
designrs

Post by designrs »

Even though I was signed off for solo, I still would take an instructor up for a few landings prior to those first solo flights. It seemed to make the trasition to solo easier and safer confirming that I was having a "good day" and felt ready.

I wasn't in a hurry. Some days I just stayed with the instructor and said, "I'm satisfied with that for today." Other days I said, "OK, get out. Time to solo."
GravityKnight

Post by GravityKnight »

A day I won't forget!

Made 5 takeoffs/landings. Went great, probably my best landings..

I understand what you were saying here now:
It wasn't nervousness per say. Just another category of mental multitasking added to the existing multitasking of flying the plane.
I was more nervous going up with him and making the first 2- then I was after he turned me loose. It's like once you are on your own, you are focussing on the tasks at hand which doesn't leave much time to get nervous/worry. You just do it. Thinking about where you would go if the motor quit now and then, but otherwise, just flying it. Definitely felt a bit of relief after the first smooth touch and go. The last few were just plain fun....

That CTLS climbs pretty good with just me, and I'm 6'4" 230lbs and we are at 6100ft elevation. Can't imagine how good it would perform at sea level... anyway, here are a couple pictures from the day...

Leaving the ground alone
Todd_flying3s.JPG
Todd_flying3s.JPG (197.33 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Setting it down
Todd_flying4s.JPG
Todd_flying4s.JPG (235.96 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Tradition :)
Todd_flying5s.JPG
Todd_flying5s.JPG (206.83 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Last edited by GravityKnight on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
designrs

Post by designrs »

Awesome and Congrats!
David

Post by David »

Congrats! You even have the Big Solo Smile, keep going and enjoy the process.