Hello From Georgia

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

FlyingForFun

Re: Hello From Georgia

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Delete
Last edited by Nomore767 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I think Bermuda High moved from Chester to a new location away from the CLT Class B.

I'm surprised Jim Lee didn't respond but I like to hear that stuff as customer support is a big factor. I was going to call and ask if I could see one, maybe get a demo. I don't 'have' to go see it but we're going to be down that way so I thought I'd go see it in person. I'd like to learn more about the Rotax operation, maintenance and support before I go there. Also, I need to check out gliding too, otherwise what's the point? Is the Phoenix something you'd be interested in? I flew in a glider years ago in the UK when I was in the Air Training Corps. Winch launched Slingsby open cockpit glider at the old Battle of britain base RAF Tangmere. Now I feel old.

I did see that RV12 in SC. Think it's gone now, not a bad price at $85k but how do you know how well it's built? One of the 12 RV-12 SLSA Special Editions is up for sale on Barnstormers. Only has 12 hours and 6 of those were by Vans. Has a cover and a trailer all for $122k. I assume it's $115k for the plane and the trailer is about $7k. Thing is, he said it's his dream plane' so.......makes you wonder.

Cheers, Howard.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Howard, I recommend you try to meet with Mitch Lock near St. Mary's City, MD if you continue to be interested in the RV-12. Rich is a very experienced RV builder before the RV-12 came along, built the East Coast demo himself to proof the draft of Vans kit build instructions, and subsequently did that a second time when Vans upgraded the standard avionics package. He's a very nice fellow, his responsibility is to demo the plane so there's no hype or sales pitch to contend with, and the plane will reward you for the effort it takes to get to it - it flies very nicely.

Your Q about how to be confident the homebuilt a/c of interest was in fact built properly is a common one. The solution to that puzzle is to set up an inspection of the a/c with someone like Mitch or another 'repeat offender'. Earlier Vans a/c had to be built on jigs and needed an especially close inspection, but they shifted to CAD/CAM manufacturing before the 12 went into production. A strong, small flashlight, a screwdriver and an emphasis on detail is about all that one of those folks will need, especially if they have actually built that specific model. They know the build traps. Ask Mitch that Q. I think he'll give you a good answer.

I listened to Craig Fuller (AOPA Prez) describe what I believe was his last discussion with the FAA Administrator about the proposed medical exemption for simple Part 23 a/c - this was in April - and it sounded to me like there is very little hope now of that being approved. Best continue to work on Plan B.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Jack,

Thanks for the interesting points as always. I've heard of Mitch Lock and he's on my list of guys to contact regarding the RV-12. I've had some kind offers from builders too to go for a ride in their airplanes too!

Cheers, Howard.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I've met Mitch, seen and sat in (but not flown) his RV12, and find him a delightfully helpful and generous enthusiast. If I were contemplating an RV12 buld or buy, I'd want to spend as much time with him as possible, learning all he's willing to teach me.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

drseti wrote:I've met Mitch, seen and sat in (but not flown) his RV12, and find him a delightfully helpful and generous enthusiast. If I were contemplating an RV12 buld or buy, I'd want to spend as much time with him as possible, learning all he's willing to teach me.
I will! Do you know which airport he flies out of? I believe his plane is N912VA?

Cheers, Howard.
Jack Tyler

Re: Where Mitch hangs out...and a nice RV12 video

Post by Jack Tyler »

IIRC Mitch flies out of 2W6...or very close thereby.

You might enjoy this little bit of RV12 inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH5BDcf72WM
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Thanks Jack!

Cheers. Howard
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I'm another Georgia sport pilot. 46 years old, quite a newbie with about 55 hours. I just recently bought a 2007 Flight Design CTSW and I have been enjoying it quite a bit. I live in Athens and the airplane is based in Winder (WDR).
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

MrMorden wrote:I'm another Georgia sport pilot. 46 years old, quite a newbie with about 55 hours. I just recently bought a 2007 Flight Design CTSW and I have been enjoying it quite a bit. I live in Athens and the airplane is based in Winder (WDR).
Looking to purchase a LSA. The CT is on my list. Would like to hear your thoughts on the CT. PM Sent.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Flocker wrote:
MrMorden wrote:I'm another Georgia sport pilot. 46 years old, quite a newbie with about 55 hours. I just recently bought a 2007 Flight Design CTSW and I have been enjoying it quite a bit. I live in Athens and the airplane is based in Winder (WDR).
Looking to purchase a LSA. The CT is on my list. Would like to hear your thoughts on the CT. PM Sent.
Happy to talk your ear off about the CT, but I don't see a PM from you.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Howard, I got checked out in the SkyCatcher at Lake Norman today. I flew 0.8 hours with Ron Henry. We made a couple landings at Statesville, did some slow flight and approach to landing stall, then landed back at Lake Norman where we did a short field T&L. They got in a couple new 172's, so the SkyCatcher is now available for rent. It's good to have something available to fly when we're up in Lincolnton visiting relatives.
Which airport/flight school in the Lake Norman area? I've flown into Lincolnton a few times visiting friends in Charlotte and would like to have a 162 available in case I had to drive up...
Aviation Real Estate Broker