hello from chicago illinois

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

FlyingForFun

Re: hello from chicago illinois

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
illinoisflyboy

Post by illinoisflyboy »

the main concern I have now with the skycatcher is the rumor that it may be discontinued and if it is true, how long would parts be available for it since the last thing anyone wants is to own an aircraft that they can no longer get parts for. engine parts shouldn't be an issue but if any airframe parts were ever needed and it is a discontinued model....
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illinoisflyboy

Post by illinoisflyboy »

i was just looking at Cessna's website, it looks like the skycatcher is still available since it is still listed on their website under propeller aircraft. might have to give them a call in the morning and find out what I can. the skycatcher is a really nice airplane and would really like to see it around for a long time. even if I don't buy one, since it is so nice.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

illinoisflyboy wrote:the main concern I have now with the skycatcher is the rumor that it may be discontinued and if it is true, how long would parts be available for it since the last thing anyone wants is to own an aircraft that they can no longer get parts for. engine parts shouldn't be an issue but if any airframe parts were ever needed and it is a discontinued model....
Sounds like you're being wise and thoughtful.

As I said, I would take your concerns to the source (and report back here!) and ask Cessna. Ask them are you keeping the model or not? If you don't why should I buy one if there may be no parts or support? I mean allow them to make their case.

Then I would go have a chat with a mechanic. The guy who you would call with a problem. Ask him/her how they like to work on the engine, can you get parts. Ask them about the Rotax and if they're trained on it. Ask about getting parts for the C162, how easy is it to work on, how expensive? Ask about working on a composite Rotax powered LSA.

This is the only real way to get those oh so important concerns addressed.

I'd be very interested to know what you find out.

Cheers, Howard.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Two excellent posts. I appreciate Howard's detailed discussion because it illustrates how many aspects can (and should) be considered when making an a/c decision. And CT demonstrates how being clear about one's mission helps firm up that decision.

Living with an a/c choice is a lot harder than making it...and making it is damn hard, too.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

For parts and service of the Rotax, Leading Edge Air Foils is right there in Southern Wisconsin. They are the midwest distributor for Rotax and offer both parts and service. There are also other Rotax mechanics in the ares.