Old guy

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: Old guy

Post by designrs »

FlyingForFun wrote:Here's my wish list:

1. FAA approves the AOPA/EAA petition.

2. FAA revises the sport pilot medical requirements to allow pilots with failed or revoked FAA medicals to fly if they are now medically safe to fly, same as those of us with expired medicals.

I'm not holding my breath for either of these to happen.
+1 sounds very reasonable.
Can't see much downside to that.
Hal74

Post by Hal74 »

drseti wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:Howard is a great name (it's mine too!!)
Hey, Hal and Howard -- as it happens, that's my first name too. I've been known as Paul since 1967. Short version: I was enjoying Uncle Sam's All-Expense-Paid Southeast Asian Vacation, and discovered that Howard can be neither pronounced nor spelled in Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Korean. My middle name, OTOH, easily fits all Eastern phonetic systems. I started using it, and it stuck. Now, the only one in the world who calls me Howard is my mother -- but at 91, she's entitled. :wink:
Hey Paul, I'm guessing there were many of us on the same vacation. My good friends, out in OC, escaped Cambodia in the mid 70's and are now US citizens and own a very successful pastry shop. It's always the same [about 20 years now] I walk in and he greets me with a smile and handshake, "Hi howlaoud how lu’...you want coffee?" Gotta' love it. I have to say, my perspective now vs. 1972 [when getting ready to go feet dry] has changed, for the better.
Hal74

Post by Hal74 »

drseti wrote:
Hal74 wrote:My next decision is which way to go; renew my Med’, which I don’t anticipate problem, or go with the drivers’ license.
Hal, you've already been warned about the potential pitfall (if you apply for an FAA medical, and are denied, you lose your Sport Pilot privileges). So, let me give just one additional suggestion: if you do decide to go for the medical (after having first received a thorough physical from your primary care physician, who has seen no red flags), then go only for the Third Class. Two many ex-Jet Jockeys automatically go for the First, because that's what they always had. At our age, this could present complications, and if you're denied a First or Second (even though you really only needed a Third, which presumably you could pass), you have that denial on your record. Better not to apply for anything more than you actually need.

FWIW, I chose to let my medical lapse a few years back. Everything I want to do in an airplane, I have been able to accomplish under Sport Pilot limitations. Yes, I occastionally miss filing IFR and launching into actual, or flying my trusty old Beechcraft, or going fast and high, but at 67, I opt to look forward, not back. :D
Paul, we share the same opinion. I have no doubt about passing the third and even if it were the first I think I would be cleared to go. It all boils down to exactly what are my intentions.
Best
Hal
Hal74

Post by Hal74 »

After reading all of your comments and many posts re; aircraft, drivers’ license vs. med. renewal, etc. I’ve taken a step back to assess my motives for getting back into flying. I looked up an old buddy of mine that I haven’t seen in almost ten years. He was my boss in 1972. He has his plane hangered at a regional airport and we sat under the wing of his Aeronca Champ and talked about the days gone by and when we would tear a hole in the sky. He told me he had voluntarily hung up his wings and was now a ground pounder and that he no longer felt safe when flying. I told him about my plans of buying an aircraft and helping my grandson in his endeavor to fly, all of which he agreed with, but then went on to ask a few questions. He asked if I ever planned on flying into IMC, night hops, etc and my answer was no. So, I am now seriously considering buying his Champ that has been completely refurbished re; new engine, skin, struts, brakes, prop, glass panel and steam, full electric with start, greenhouse add on, toe brakes, new interior, etc…etc. The kicker was when he asked what my intentions were, and my answer was fairly simple, “To cruise the Texas countryside.”
Best
Hal
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hal, I started in a 7AC Champ in 1961. About 18 years ago, almost a decade before the Sport Pilot rule or LSAs, I came dangerously close to buying an O-58 (military Champ) for the princely sum of $10,000. After SP was born, the price shot up precipitously. Now, I wish I had grabbed it! :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US