Flyin in de Bayou

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

aileronjack

Flyin in de Bayou

Post by aileronjack »

Hey guys
Im Jack from Louisiana. This is my project. Being a disabled pilot, I have had a few challenges along the way; but I have great friends that have all contributed their time and expertise. There is nothing like climbing in and headin for the blue skies of the Louisiana Bayou country. The wildlife you see from the air is always a joy to run across. Me and my buddies are always on the look out for new places to fly.

Merlinspop

Re: Flyin in de Bayou

Post by Merlinspop »

Welcome, Jack!

Grew up in DeRidder. Not bayou country, though. A lot of people don't appreciate how beautiful Louisiana is.
- Bruce
David

Post by David »

Welcome aboard!
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Welcome!

Whenever we get bogged down over autopilots and glass panels and iPads and ADS-B and whatever, it's easy to get pretty far away from the pure joy of flight that you seem to have nailed down.

I like it!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Jack, you remind me of how much I missed flying this past week, thanks to Florida's tropical wx! Glad to have you aboard.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice to have you aboard, Jack. Do please tell us a bit about your plane. Quicksilver?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
aileronjack

Post by aileronjack »

Thanx guys! I appreciate the warm welcome.
Yes its a Quicksilver MXII with a 503 Rotax and a new CDI ignition. (single carb)
I changed, and upgraded the wing fabric to add 5 additional ribs on each side. Added a starter, new tires, wheels, and hydraulic braking. Got a new 6gal gas tank. New seat fabric and cushions. Sanded and painted all aircraft grade tubing; and replaced every bolt on the plane. I replaced the root tube as it was cracked and went with a new axle as it was bent. Just last week I added a manual trim tab to the rudder and an adjustable trim to the elevator. The engine apparently had seen very little time when I got it. (I bought it out of an old barn with vines grown up into the fabric and frame.) When we took the manifold off, it still had the factory honing visible on the inside walls of the cylinders. The instrument panel includes altimeter, airspeed, and VSI; along with tach and EGT.
Im adding wing fences and nav lights this evening, hopefully. But, the coolest new item was the addition of an authentic H-1 Huey stick handle on which the red button under the thumb is the starter button... Its an exciting ride to say the least!