ARIZONA HELLO

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

skywagon

ARIZONA HELLO

Post by skywagon »

Hello from Casa Grande. AZ. Just moved here from Tucson to trade big city ways for a smaller community. I have been out of flying for over 20yr and until moving here had not missed it. Going to a local fly-in has generated a spark of interest in the idea of getting off the ground again. My flying was all done as a private pilot so was a significant expense in my modest life style. The kind of flying I enjoyed was low and slow. I owned a Cessna 185 which gave me a comforting horse power cushion when pilot proficiency was a little weak. I eventually equipped the plane with a set of amphibious floats but after flying into lakes and bays I realized water work did not appeal to me. My fantasy is....having a reliable engine'd aircraft capable of hauling 300 lb. for a period of 2-3 hours while I search out likely fly fishing waters and look for off airport landing sites to do some casual rock hounding and messing around. I just celebrated no. 78 and find myself relatively fit and active but do not want to try for a 3d class medical.

Forgive the rambling but just wanted to see if there was any group of like minded old duffers in my area who I could connect with to see if this itch has a chance to go forward.
Thanks,
Blue Skies and Tail Winds,
Dale White 520 825 1894
[email protected]
MovingOn

Re: ARIZONA HELLO

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice to have you aboard, Dale. I can't overemphasize the importance of transition training - LSAs handle very differently from a 185! For a look at a recommended transition curriculum, see: http://avsport.org/about/downsize.htm. Feel free to share this with any flight school or CFI, or come out for a Pennsylvania vacation, and fly three days with me. :D

Based upon your mission and your floatplane experience, I can recommend that you take a close look at the SeaRey. That's the amphib I'd pick if I were in your waders. Just remember, before every landing, to say out loud, either "this is a water landing. Left main up, right main up, tailwheel up for a water landing", or "this is a land landing. Left main down, right main down, taliwheel down for a land landing." (And then double-check!)

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enelson

Post by enelson »

Welcome....let us know if you find any LSA activity up there.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Welcome aboard, Dale.

Here's what you posted that caught my ear: "The kind of flying I enjoyed was low and slow. ...after flying into lakes and bays I realized water work did not appeal to me. My fantasy is....having a reliable engine'd aircraft capable of hauling 300 lb. for a period of 2-3 hours while I search out likely fly fishing waters and look for off airport landing sites to do some casual rock hounding and messing around. ...wanted to see if there was any group of like minded old duffers in my area "

Seems like you are referring to 3 different tho' related issues: Low & slow - and more local than long distance - flying surely fits the LSA/Sport Pilot arena.

But off-airport landing sites not so much, unless the LSA you fly is designed and built with that in mind. You might find joining several LSA model forums where this kind of sport flying is the norm, and where the aircraft aren't financially out of your reach. One (of probably many) good examples might be the Just Aircraft's Highlander and the forum oriented around its capabilities (http://www.wingsforum.com/viewforum.php?f=218). Just is getting lots of publicity right now re: their new 'super STOL' Highlander model, but the basic Highlander in a basic form & fit out is quite capable of off airport landings. My bet would be that, if you can find an LSA available for renting in the area south of Phoenix, it is unlikely it will be suitable for gravel strips in the backcountry, 'tho of course I could be wrong since I'm in Florida.

The 'virtual community' of forums like this one and the one at the above link can be one way to connect up with folks in your area. Another is to look for some "real" pilot communities in your area since they can introduce you to the kind of flying you aspire to do. There are two that jump to my mind. One is the Arizona Pilots Association (azpilots.org) - a pretty active group, so much so that they've attracted the attendance of the AOPA president to one of their upcoming meetings. Be sure to check out the backcountry flying section of their website. I believe that reading their safety briefings on specific recreational & backcountry airstrips, which are very well done, will give you a good feel for the kind of aircraft qualities you'll be looking for. And the other organization you need to get involved with is 'us' - that is, the Arizona branch of the Recreational Aviation Foundation (theraf.org). The RAF's state liaison is Mark Spencer (http://theraf.org/content/state-liaisons) who flies a Cub lookalike and is heavily involved in building relationships with the public land managers in AZ who manage some of the airstrips that pilots would most like to access. Shoot Mark an email at [email protected] and see if he can't be a resource to you, as well. And in the shameless plug department, why not join Team RAF? Won't cost you a dime upfront and you'll be part of a wonderful group of folks doing what you aspire to do. (Click on the 'Join Team RAF, left pane of the home page).

Good luck on the re-entry!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org