Hey new here.

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

flyingtiger11

Hey new here.

Post by flyingtiger11 »

Hello, I am 15 and I have just started to learn how to fly in a Evictor Sport's Star. I am interested in sport flying because of the low cost and short takeoff capabilities. I am looking at different sport planes and wanted to know if any of you know of a nice affordable sport plane that is somewhat like a sport's star. Thanks!
MovingOn

Re: Hey new here.

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Many people ignore the "fat ultralight" end of the LSA segment. Those aircraft are significantly less expensive than those on the other end of the segment. They do, however, look like what they are (big ultralights) and not like what we picture in our minds as 'real' airplanes.

MO's advice is sound; don't overlook renting (if they are available near you). There are a ton of hassles and not insignificant costs that come with ownership.

Welcome! And best of luck with your flying! It's great to see a new generation of aspiring pilots coming along. Tell your friends!

Oh... another thing... there are organizations around that work with high schools to create school clubs/activities groups that work together over the course of an academic year or two to build airplanes. After completion, the students typically get to train in the plane they build (better build it right!) while they build another, then they sell the first to finance new projects. See if there's one near you.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

flyingtiger11 wrote:I am looking at different sport planes and wanted to know if any of you know of a nice affordable sport plane that is somewhat like a sport's star. Thanks!
Look at a Sonex. Faster than the Sport Star, strong airframe, lots of fun. With a VW engine they can be found under $30k, occasionally under $25k.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
enelson

Post by enelson »

Welcome! Great to see all age groups represented here.