Hello from Memphis

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Dispatchguy

Hello from Memphis

Post by Dispatchguy »

Hello. I started flight training in 2002, but health stopped my path. I can hold an SI Class III, but at that time, that was going to be insufficient. At that time, I was an Aircraft Dispatcher in PHX, and wanted to fly commercially.

Back in April, a friend of mine took me up in a 172, which got me thinking... I hadnt been in anything smaller than a Boeing in a very long time.

I'm an aircraft dispatcher instructor for a worldwide all cargo operation in Memphis. I've flown flight deck Jumpseat for 312 flights. The local fbo here has a C162, and I can now afford flight training.

I guess that means its time to go fly. My friend who started all this is flying him and I up to OSH in a 172 for a few days for th show this year.

Very glad to be here...
Doug S, ADX
International Dispatch Instructor
Worldwide All-Cargo 121 Air Carrier
KMEM
designrs

Re: Hello from Memphis

Post by designrs »

Welcome Dispatch. Time to get in the front seat! OSH will certainly get you pumped up for flying!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Welcome, Dispatch. We are both beginner- and rebeginner-friendly here.

Sounds like you will likely be flying the C-162. Use 'search' here and you'll find lots of comments about that plane's (good) flight performance. Alas, also about much else since its manufacturing history was a bit of a saga. But zero in on the flight comments and you might find them helpful.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Dispatchguy

Post by Dispatchguy »

I'm up in DC at the Airlines 4 America HQ at an airline FAA operations specifications meeting, and while I am up here, I made an appt with the DC FSDO and got myself issued a new Student Pilot Certificate.

I fly back to MEM tomorrow. Each trip up here I do at least one cool touristy thing. One meeting I took a White House tour, one trip I visited the National Crypto Museum at Ft Meade (former intel/crypto in the military), another the National Archives, and one trip the downtown annex of the National Air and Space Museum.

Tomorrow, I'm doing the NASM at Dulles, don't fly out til 1900.

Reading Machado's Sport Pilot handbook. I'd like to take the knowledge test before I head up to Oshkosh.

Planning on starting flying late September, when I get back from my annual required ops FAM ride, and the air around MEM is less 'juicy'. Still can't decide where to go for my ops ride...
Doug S, ADX
International Dispatch Instructor
Worldwide All-Cargo 121 Air Carrier
KMEM
designrs

Post by designrs »

Machado's book is a good read. He makes the key concepts memorable through humor and illustrations while still covering all the information. You have the advantage of some aviation experience which will be an asset in taking your written test early.

The Gliem online prep is good as well if you want to go through and study the exact exam questions. It's helpful to have the actual knowledge from reading and study but also the test prep so you can slam through the "trick questions" for a super high score.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

If you ever feel like heading east, stop by Copperhill, TN, and I'll show you how the other half lives!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]