NUG in the Mountain West

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Billiam

NUG in the Mountain West

Post by Billiam »

New useless guy checking in. Thought I'd say hello before lurking about. I'm a former professional pilot who currently flies an old Mooney for recreation. I've been looking at LSA and motor gliders for a couple of not very unique reasons: I'd like to purchase a new (unused) aircraft at some point. I won't be buying a brand new Mooney anytime soon and, though I personally wouldn't characterize new LSA's as "affordable", they are obviously much more so than their Part 23 counterparts. The second is that I turn fifty this year and the increasing probability of facing a medical issue that accompanies too many birthdays has my attention (I'm not very hopeful of significant movement on Class III medical reform).

Thanks in advance for allowing me to wander about.

Bill
MrMorden

Re: NUG in the Mountain West

Post by MrMorden »

Billiam wrote:New useless guy checking in. Thought I'd say hello before lurking about. I'm a former professional pilot who currently flies an old Mooney for recreation. I've been looking at LSA and motor gliders for a couple of not very unique reasons: I'd like to purchase a new (unused) aircraft at some point. I won't be buying a brand new Mooney anytime soon and, though I personally wouldn't characterize new LSA's as "affordable", they are obviously much more so than their Part 23 counterparts. The second is that I turn fifty this year and the increasing probability of facing a medical issue that accompanies too many birthdays has my attention (I'm not very hopeful of significant movement on Class III medical reform).

Bill
Hey Bill, welcome!

My birdies tell me Class III reform *is* coming, and that it will be more to our liking than many expect. But those rumors are worth what you paid for them...it's wise to have a plan for if it does not work out.

If you have not flown an LSA, I recommend getting some time in one before committing. They fly (and land!) very differently from heavier airplanes, and the most common accidents occur for pilots transitioning from heavier metal.

The newer LSAs generally (but not universally):

1) Land slower

2) Approach steeper

3) Accelerate and decelerate more quickly (less inertia)

4) Have lighter controls

5) Are more fun to fly (okay, that one is opinion... :D )
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
David

Post by David »

Welcome to the forum

I like Andy's suggestions for transition training and flight characteristics for the LSAs, especially #5
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Welcome, Bill!

Especially if you buy a new LSA, a lot of the distributors seems to offer transition training as part of the "new buy" process. SportAir USA appears to even offer it for free for used Sting/Sirius/Savage purchases:

http://sportair.aero/uncategorized/free ... ety-check/
Andy / PP-ASEL
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Welcome, Bill. It's always a healthy thing to have experienced pilots join the forum, no matter which corner of GA or commercial aviation they come from.

One mantra here which you may already have come across is 'mission first, aircraft second'. If you want 'new', then almost anything LSA will suffice. But the general consensus is that being thoughtful when refining how your Mooney replacement will be used, near and longer term, will produce a more satisfactory choice.

A second uninvited piece of advice: Dial in a bit of patience and wait to see the NPRM draft language. Opinions differ about its scope but it could drastically change your non-Class III alternatives.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Billiam wrote:New useless guy checking in. Thought I'd say hello before lurking about. I'm a former professional pilot who currently flies an old Mooney for recreation. I've been looking at LSA and motor gliders for a couple of not very unique reasons: I'd like to purchase a new (unused) aircraft at some point. I won't be buying a brand new Mooney anytime soon and, though I personally wouldn't characterize new LSA's as "affordable", they are obviously much more so than their Part 23 counterparts. The second is that I turn fifty this year and the increasing probability of facing a medical issue that accompanies too many birthdays has my attention (I'm not very hopeful of significant movement on Class III medical reform).

Bill
Welcome Bill... Take your time, fly a variety of available LSAs, and look to what type of flying you plan to do. There are no perfect aircraft, each has it's positives and negatives, but overall most are stable and forgiving aircraft. There is no "Best Aircraft" built but some are better than others. LSAs have a much lighter wing loading that your Mooney, don't penetrate turbulence as well, but are a kick to fly. Don't know what you call an "old Mooney", I've only flown wood wing models (65HP Mite and early MK20). Best wishes and welcome to the forum.. VR.. Don Stits
Billiam

Post by Billiam »

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and sound advice. I'm in no hurry at all to do anything. I was disappointed that one of the designs which piqued my interest in LSA (SAM LS) may have already suffered SIDS; or may be orphaned at the very least. The Ximango, which ranked high on my list if I were to go the motor glider route is presently out of production as well.

"Old" as it applies to my Mooney is 46 years. Given the trend in the GA fleet, it's not as old as it once was. Venerable may be a better descriptor. The only other Mooney I'd ever flown was an M20B ('61) when I was an instructor in the mid '80's. Though fun to fly, we all thought that that 25 year old plane was "ancient"! My how times have changed...
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Billiam wrote:Thanks to all for the warm welcome and sound advice. I'm in no hurry at all to do anything. I was disappointed that one of the designs which piqued my interest in LSA (SAM LS) may have already suffered SIDS; or may be orphaned at the very least. The Ximango, which ranked high on my list if I were to go the motor glider route is presently out of production as well.

"Old" as it applies to my Mooney is 46 years. Given the trend in the GA fleet, it's not as old as it once was. Venerable may be a better descriptor. The only other Mooney I'd ever flown was an M20B ('61) when I was an instructor in the mid '80's. Though fun to fly, we all thought that that 25 year old plane was "ancient"! My how times have changed...
Bill,
The MK20 I flew had the 0-320 and wooden tail - before the FAA required replacement with the metal tail. The Mite was the 0-145 Lycoming version (would qualify as Sport Pilot except for the retractable gear).
The SAMS looked like a good airplane - have to wait and see if someone buys the company and continues to production. The SAMS reminds me of an LSA version of the Morrisey, later Shinn, then Varga in the 50's and early 60's. Best of luck and good hunting on finding your dream bird. VR.. Don