Hi from Rosamond, CA

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

TomcatAV8R

Hi from Rosamond, CA

Post by TomcatAV8R »

I live in the California high desert and I’m looking to buy, and work on, a CT or other large-pilot-suitable light sport (I’m 6’4”, 240). I’ll probably seek a used CTLS since the Ukraine invasion shut down Flight Design production.

I’m a new LSR-M and fly for a living.

Rosamond is an hour drive North from the LA area, in the high desert near Edwards, AFB. I live on a skypark there.

Cheers!
Dave C

Re: Hi from Rosamond, CA

Post by Dave C »

Welcome! I am slightly taller and a bit heavier than you. I have not tried on a CT. I ended up with an Evektor Sportstar. It is very accomodating of big people with great headroom, shoulder room, and useful load.
drseti

Re: Hi from Rosamond, CA

Post by drseti »

I agree with Dave. I've owned two SportStars. Useful load (depending on equipment) typically runs 525 to 575 pounds. With full fuel (188#) that leaves you with between 370 and 420# of payload. That's only a 1 place aircraft for the heavier pilots, unless you carry partial fuel. With, say, 10 gal in each tank (120# total), you get 3 hours endurance plus an hour reserve.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US