Howdy!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Brohawk

Howdy!

Post by Brohawk »

Greetings!!!

I've been looking for a site like this! I want to talk Sport Pilot and a) most folks either haven't heard of it, or b) the Private/Instrument/Commercial/Multi-rated guys get REALLY condescending toward me.

Well, not all of them. I do have a friend who fits that category and figures if you want to fly, we're all in the same family. But he's the exception.

Anyway, I'm 48 and put getting into the driver's seat on the back burner for pretty much my whole life. You know the drill - kids, family, etc... Anyway, my youngest is a junior in high school. In the not-too-distant future it will be me and my bride.

Since I'm pushing 50 and health generally deteriorates as you age, I was hesitant to go for a Private rating because I'd hate to drop $5K+ on the ticket and then lose my medical. Then I learned about the Sport Pilot rule.

Top speed is limited? No biggy. I ride motorcycles and can tell that my reactions aren't what they were 20 years ago. I don't need to go warp 6.

Limited to VFR ops? I don't have a desire to fly in crappy weather anyway.

Yep, it looks like Sport Pilot is the ticket for me. In the current plan, my wife will be finishing school and rejoining the work force in a couple months, so in the springtime I will start my lessons. 8)

For background, I did 21 years as a Crew Chief in the USAF. I worked F-4Ds, KC-135 water burners, C-141A & B, and C-17. I have my A&P and occasionally lend a hand to a friend who has a GA business. After working those jets, GA maintenance is good therapy.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Hey - welcome aboard!

Sounds like you've got your "ducks in a row", with the family established and funds coming available. I completely agree that Sport Pilot serves the purposes of most of us. Altitude, speed, one passenger, VFR, etc. Isn't that the way most of us would fly anyway?

Where are you taking your lessons?

Good to have you with us!
Tom