New member here...

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Axe

New member here...

Post by Axe »

I obtained my Sport Pilot certificate in October. I have been browsing the forum for a while and thought I would sign up.

I was involved in the Civil Air Patrol when I was a teenager. The Air Force picked up the tab for me to solo in gliders when I was 16.

I am 38 now. I was working towards my PPL when I was 24.I soloed and was working towards completion but ended up needing money for my upcoming wedding, and just drifted away with other interests, kids, etc.

I became interested a few years ago again in flying, but the medical eligibility came into doubt for me. Sport Pilot came along, but I wasn't following it too closely, figuring in my remote area, there wouldn't be any availability of instruction. Lo and Behold, one of our local FBOs started selling Tecnams and offering Sport Pilot instruction two years ago. I am the first graduate.

I came into the program with 38 hours. Before starting back up, I took the Gleim course, which refreshed me with a lot of things I had forgotten and educated me on more than a few things I hadn't learned. When I came to the school, I had a 92% written test score to show the CFI.

I ended up soloing in the Tecnam with 4 more under my belt. I pushed as hard as I could, but it took me five weeks to obtain the certificate due to weather, CFI availability, aircraft availability, etc.

Since getting my certificate, I have gone on a few local and cross country flights and have been having fun with it. I still get nervous every time I am getting ready to go up, but I preplan like crazy so I am as well prepared as I think I can be, which eases my mind.

I am glad to be involved in the aviation community again, and look forward to speaking with you all on the board.
SkySteve

Post by SkySteve »

Welcome aboard!! Glad to see another Sport Pilot get your wings. You mentioned the Tecnum. I, too, flew the Tecnum for my Sport Pilot certificate. I flew the Sierra. It is a great plane. I now own a Kitfox, but will still fly the Sierra once in a while. Which Tecnum did you fly?
Steve Wilson
Huntsville, UT
Kitfox
Convertible Nose Wheel & Tail Wheel
912A / Warp Drive Prop
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Welcome to the club!

Your description of the steps toward getting your ticket is excellent. Great to learn of your background and your success.

Good to have you with us!

Tom
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

Welcome to forum and congratulation's on your certificate.

Some would say that flying is a narcotic. You just can't stay away from it.

Here's to many happy flying hours ahead and Merry Christmas.