Another Hello from TX

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Another Hello from TX

Post by dstclair »

Hi All!

I've been a PP-ASEL for about 17 years getting my instrument ticket within the first year. I've owned a Cherokee 180 and a Bellanca Super Viking and used both planes (sequentially) as the family station wagon for a number of years. Around 11 years ago, we had complete engine failure in the Bellanca on our way to Disney World (wife and two young daughters) and had an 'off airport landing' (my wife calls it a 'crash') in a south GA swamp. We were heli-lifted out of the swamp by the Coast Guard and that ended my flying career -- temporarily. My wife was a bit of a nervous flyer before and was not too keen on flying in a small plane after the event. I, on the otherhand, would have flown the next day :D

I never stopped wanting to fly and followed with great interest the SP/LSA progress. As the regulations matured and planes actually started hitting the market, I carefully broached the subjected with my (clearly) better half. The availability of a whole-plane parachute, new and simple designs, other safetey features of the S-LSA planes and the possibility of visiting our Air Force Academy daughter in 5 hours convinced my wife to 'let' me get back into flying.

I got current this past summer in a SportStar, flew a few other S-LSAs and decided on a Sting Sport S3 in December. After 50 hours, I'm very happy with my choice -- both in aircraft and in flying again :)
dave