Hello, from a new member

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Alan Smoak

Hello, from a new member

Post by Alan Smoak »

Hello,
My name is Alan, private, multi,instrument and now Sport Pilot owner too. I have a 2007 American Champion Champ LSA. I also have a Penn Yann convedrted 1977 Cessna 172. I have a little over 7,000 hrs, have rebuildt several and completly built one so I may be able to help some of you guys some what and visversa
drseti

Re: Hello, from a new member

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Alan. I started out in a 1946 7AC Champ, back when they weren't even old yet. :wink: That one was C65 under-powered. I imagine the new one uses a 100 HP Rotax?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Welcome.

Where do you live?

Professor, the new Champ uses a Coninental O-200.

Makes for a very cool plane, but pretty heavy for a Light Sport.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well, Eddie, my old Champ was 800# empty, 1220 max gross, for 420 useful load. Given the weight of the O200, and assuming 1320 max gross, the new one will still have a better useful load than the classic Champ.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

http://www.amerchampionaircraft.com/New ... Champ.html

Shows 925 lbs EW.

And that's probably without much in the way of extras.

Like I said, VERY cool plane, but either for one normal occupant or two very light ones.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:Shows 925 lbs EW.
You're right, that's pretty heavy.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Alan Smoak

Post by Alan Smoak »

Thanks for the welcome. the new Champ is heavier than the originals, but much nicer! It is really a Citrabria 7ECA but with one tank, an 0-200, wood prop, aluminium cowling, lighter gear. They lowered the gross number to fit the FAA's idea of a Light Sport catergory of 1320lbs but it is a certified airplane, stressed for 5 and 2 so it just suits me fine, i don't worry a bit about rough air! Climbs 6-700 fpm and is a bit faster then they claim, I generaly get right at 100 mph and if by myself I see 103 -104 at 2500. I'm hoping a new metal prop will help. There is a lot of positive words out there about going metal. We will see and let you guys know. Very roomy, comfortable , forgiving and just a sweet airplane to fly. I've had it for a little over a year and still very happy. The used prices are coming down to reasonable area's now too.