Old guy

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Hal74

Old guy

Post by Hal74 »

Hello everyone, my name is Howard but most call me Hal’. I came upon this site when doing a search for light sport aircraft. After reading through the different posts it became very obvious, I was in the right place.
I retired my ATPL several years ago and have not sat at the controls of an aircraft since. My experience ranges from C-150, as my first trainer in 1965, finishing with the B744. I have six children and seven grandchildren that have no interest in flying…except one. My eldest grandson is all about flying and that makes me very happy. After a little nudging, my daughter and son in law gave their permission and I enrolled him in a PPL course at KCNO as a 16th birthday gift from Gramps’. I thought that I was done with flying and satisfied with encouraging my grandson until we walked onto the tarmac for his first lesson. I stood back and watched as his CFI walked him through the pre-flight paying very close attention to their interaction and waited for that one moment, when he yelled, “Clear prop.” It took me back to that day in my life that I had long since forgotten. I guess you could say it rekindled that desire to be,” Up there.” I have decided get back in the saddle and I have a lot questions re; becoming a light sport pilot, etc. and in the long run I hope that I will be able to give back more than I have gained.
Best
Hal’
CharlieTango

Re: Old guy

Post by CharlieTango »

Hi Hal,

Unless your medical status is currently 'denied' or you don't have a driver's license then there is no need to become a sport pilot, you are already there.

A light sport aircraft and a checkout or transition training would be useful.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Welcome aboard Hal, I know you're going to like it here. There are many of us "old guys" that walked away, never to return. And then, that magic occurred. Light Sport IS different, it will take a little time to get your head wrapped around it, but when you do...you won't stop smiling.
Dave
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Welcome, Hal!

Remember that your ATP doesn't expire. You can exercise the privileges of it and every lower certificate, so long as you meet the medical certification requirements. Those requirements to exercise Sport Pilot privileges are not to have had a medical denied, have a drivers' license and self-certify your fitness to fly. Currency and insurance company requirements and prudence apply as well.

Remember, also, that you can also exercise SP privileges in several legacy aircraft that meet the light sport parameters. J3 cubs, Champs and others fall into that group.
- Bruce
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Hi Hal!

Howard is a great name (it's mine too!!)

Like you I spent many years flying, starting in Cherokee, PPL,CPL, IR, CFI, CFII, ATPL...instructed in all Cessna, Pipers and Beech. Flew corporate, commuter, freight before getting hired by a major US carrier and finishing up flying the world in 767s. I got tired and somewhat jaded with flying. Had my own plane, a 1940 DH82a Tiger Moth, ended up doing an almost complete restoration which took an enormous amount of time and effort. Sold it.

Like you I got the itch again and have been scratching for the last year or so. Having tried to find a school locally to rent from I got quite disillusioned and frustrated. Then I realised I was having quite a bit of fun just going to different places to try out their planes. I've tried Cub Crafters Cub, Remos GX, Champ, CTLS and Skycatcher. I decided that the Light Sport route was for me, at the moment, as my mission is to try and find the most hassle free, cost effective and fun 'mission' and trying to find the plane that best suits that and to see if one is available locally. So far, no luck, but I've got a 'bucket list' of things I'm going to do to keep me busy and interested. I'm going to get a demo flight with the East Coast Vans rep in an RV-12. Visit Chesapeake Light Sport and fly as many of their types as I can to compare notes. Visit with Tecnam and find out about their products, especially the new Astore. Same with the Bristell. I plan a trip to TX to check out Legend at Sulphur Springs and see if I can get a demo there as well as buy some hours at a couple of TX schools. Then, maybe a visit to Phoenix motor-glider at Melbourne FL.
I plan on a trip to Sebring in january to see if I can see all the above in one spot!

This site has been invaluable for tips, info and encouragement. Everyone has been great. I've asked many questions and there have been many thoughtful, and good responses. I've learned so much.

For me, like you said, it's like starting over. I feel, for ME, just because I've flown transports etc it's like beginning again, with the knowledge that I've done it and so learning new types is much easier. I have no illusions, the past is past,now I just want to be a Light Sport pilot , maybe even an owner if I can find the right plane for me.

One thing I hadn't considered, and which I offer as an idea, is the glider/motor-glider. Gliding, and adding the rating, is about $2000+ for a qualified pilot and I have a good soaring site not far away. Not sure if I wanted to do it, but hey it's on my bucket list to go for a demo too!
Here's the interesting part. I looked at the phoenix motor glider. It's a glider with a 100HP Rotax like the Remos, CTLS that I've flown. The wings can be made larger by adding 6ft tips and the span is 49ft. Some gliders are self launch others have sustainer motors which pop out to give lift and help you avoiding 'landing out'. The Phoenix is now a powered glider, but you can switch off the Rotax, feather it and glide. And it's a pretty good glider. Land, take the tips off and you have a tailwheel (no endorsement required) 36ft span LSA. Composite fuselage, 100lbs bags, side by side seating, 26gals fuel so great range , useful load and speed. In fact it's better (IMHO) than the Remos I flew as a LSA.
Thing is...if you are a glider pilot (add the rating) then you can fly this LSA glider above 10,000' and NO MEDICAL is required, and NO DRIVERS LICENSE. It's the best of many world and worth looking into, in my view. I'm going to and will report back when I get round to it, which may be this fall, or next spring.

It's a worthy thing for you to give back by getting the boy into flying and passing along the torch. It'll be really satisfying and rewarding.

Have fun, and welcome!

Cheers, Howard
Hal74

Post by Hal74 »

Thanks all for the welcome. I spent the entire day [Saturday] at the airport and also bought a couple hours [with CFI] in a C-172. I got a little heavy handed with the control input but smoothed out. It was great to be back in the saddle.
Best
Hal
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hal,
First off, let me add my words of welcome. It's good to have you aboard.

If you're heavy-handed in a 172, you'll be all over the sky in an LSA (at least at first). That's normal. Those of us transitioning from larger, heavier aircraft definitely need formal downsizing training to make the move back down the ladder safely. My flight school offers a three-day transition course just for folks in your situation. You can download the syllabus from:
http://avsport.org/about/downsize.htm

I encourage you to share this with any other school or CFI with whom you might care to train. In my capacity as an FAA Safety Team Lead Representative, I'm more an happy to make my training materials widely available. (Or, feel free to come out to Central PA for a vacation, and fly the course with me! :wink: )

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

One more welcome, Hal. Very helpful group here, spanning a wide range of previous flying experience. As you dip your toe back in, the 'search' function can be your friend, too.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Hal74

Post by Hal74 »

Thank you Paul, I read the syllabus for your transition training and it is just what I’m looking for. Unfortunately, with summer nearing its end and the holidays just around the corner I doubt that I can fit in a trip to PA. before the weather turns down. My next decision is which way to go; renew my Med’, which I don’t anticipate problem, or go with the drivers’ license. I’m 65 and I’m okay today, but at this age one never knows what is around the corner.
Thanks again to all for welcoming me to the community.
Best
Hal
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Welcome Hal.

My story is different from everyone else. I always dreamed of flight, but never was able to do anything about it. Then life goes on. I end up at a small airport flying RC airplanes and see these EAB and ultralights.
I found if I purchased a used ultralight from the owner of the airpark I would get lessons. It was a no brainier. So I wrote a check and its all history. I soloed in 2009.
Being I started in ultralights I went from a trike to a taildragger teaching my self to fly the different models. But they all fly the same. You just fly the taildragger from the time you start moving to the time you stop. The trike style not so much. Taildragger way more fun then a trike, IMO.
Because of how unreliable these ultralights are and how slow, I moved up to a EAB and went after my SP certificate.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nomore767 wrote:Howard is a great name (it's mine too!!)
Hey, Hal and Howard -- as it happens, that's my first name too. I've been known as Paul since 1967. Short version: I was enjoying Uncle Sam's All-Expense-Paid Southeast Asian Vacation, and discovered that Howard can be neither pronounced nor spelled in Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Korean. My middle name, OTOH, easily fits all Eastern phonetic systems. I started using it, and it stuck. Now, the only one in the world who calls me Howard is my mother -- but at 91, she's entitled. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hal74 wrote:My next decision is which way to go; renew my Med’, which I don’t anticipate problem, or go with the drivers’ license.
Hal, you've already been warned about the potential pitfall (if you apply for an FAA medical, and are denied, you lose your Sport Pilot privileges). So, let me give just one additional suggestion: if you do decide to go for the medical (after having first received a thorough physical from your primary care physician, who has seen no red flags), then go only for the Third Class. Two many ex-Jet Jockeys automatically go for the First, because that's what they always had. At our age, this could present complications, and if you're denied a First or Second (even though you really only needed a Third, which presumably you could pass), you have that denial on your record. Better not to apply for anything more than you actually need.

FWIW, I chose to let my medical lapse a few years back. Everything I want to do in an airplane, I have been able to accomplish under Sport Pilot limitations. Yes, I occastionally miss filing IFR and launching into actual, or flying my trusty old Beechcraft, or going fast and high, but at 67, I opt to look forward, not back. :D
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US