Build it they will come, its built.

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

CTLSi

Re: Build it they will come, its built.

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote:
Electronic navigation? What's that supposed to mean? The Garmin GPS is a powerful tool and can be used in a checkride to refer to when flying around. And so can the Dynon Skyview which is an all electronic PFD. In fact, there are no steam gauges in my plane at all, not even a dash mounted xpndr. So if the examiner wants to checkride in a throwback plane with steam gauges and manual xpndr he will have to rent one.
You should pass based on your panel alone!

I'm just grateful that I already have a certificate, I would be embarrassed to show up in my throwback plane with all the steam gauges :oops:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

A private pilot applicant must demonstrate the use of electronic navigation, but a sport pilot does not.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

"IOW, ask yourself if you would narrow your search for an instructor to those who would teach you the absolute minimum necessary to get a license, or would choose one whose judgment you trusted to give a little extra training to the extent to make you a safer pilot?"

To illustrate Eddie's point, I was trained in St. Pete, FL - the convective storm capitol of the USA according to some, with almost zero freezing days per year, and almost surrounded by water (Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay) with 3 runway thresholds ending in riprap breakwater. Imagine how different my training 'should' have been if I was getting it in Great Falls, Montana...or for that matter, outside Boston, Mass. I really can't imagine how teaching exclusively to the PTS is safe without adapting it to the nature of the airport, area traffic, seasonal wx issues, etc. Wouldn't we all want an IP to bring that mix to the experience?
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:A private pilot applicant must demonstrate the use of electronic navigation, but a sport pilot does not.
That doesn't mean a sport pilot cannot use electronic navigation in a checkride. Also, sport pilots MUST receive at least 2 hours of under the hood training. That would REQUIRE the specific and demonstrated use of instruments without benefit of VFR horizon or ground references outside the cockpit.
I didn't say you couldn't use it, just that you don't need to demonstrate using it. A sport pilot doesn't even need a radio or GPS in the aircraft, but a private pilot must demonstrate how to use it.
Also a sport pilot student must have instrument training before solo cross country flight in an aircraft if the Vh is greater than 87 kts, but nowhere is there a requirement for 2 hours. Even if you do instrument training you don't have to have a GPS or Radio, just needle, ball, airspeed, and compass.

BTW, electronic navigation is using a GPS, VOR, or NDB tpye system to fly from point A to B. It can also be used for lost procedures
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote:since the sport pilot MUST have an endorsement that states 2 hours of under hood training,
Yes, instrument training, but that's not exactly what the FAR says. It requires training in operating the aircraft solely by reference to instruments (doesn't specify number of hours), before solo XC, but only required if flying acft with Vh>87 kts. BTW, this is a requirement for solo XC, not a requirement for the checkride per se.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Read the post again, it says a private pilot must demonstrate the use of electronic navigation. A sport pilot does not have to demonstrate the use, but if you have the equipment you should know how to use it.

Once again a sport pilot needs to know and understand the use of a radio, but doesn't have to demonstrate it on the checkride. It can be tested during the oral.

The only instrument requirement related to sport pilot is from from Sub part "C" 61.93, and it says
"(12) Control and maneuvering solely by reference to flight instruments, including straight and level flight, turns, descents, climbs, use of radio aids, and ATC directives. For student pilots seeking a sport pilot certificate, the provisions of this paragraph only apply when receiving training for cross-country flight in an airplane that has a VH greater than 87 knots CAS."
This is the only place any instument training is required for a sport pilot. No 2 hours mentioned anywhere else in Sub Part "C" or "J". The 2 hour requirement must be from your flight school, and I agree it is a good thing, but it is not regulatory.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Looks like training is starting next spring. Its been a struggle for sure. Housing available for those whom might need it, this is on site. Price is still being worked out. Depends if the CFI comes and stays for a week or if he must fly in every day he is needed. He would like to stay for a few weeks and get all the training done.
I can tell you we will be offering the bare bones SP certificate or you can go the full blown route and get your Class C endorsement and all. So far we only have have a gyro to train in, but I do have those looking to purchase an LSA to use for training. We hope to have one by spring or early summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgOoH9hQxm4