How many Sport CFIs?

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

TDFlyer

How many Sport CFIs?

Post by TDFlyer »

I downloaded the FAA airmen database, could only find 63 CFI-S Sport Instructors (including, of course, John and Martha King)

63? That's it?
TimTaylor

Re: How many Sport CFIs?

Post by TimTaylor »

I don't think it matters because any CFI can instruct students toward a Sport Pilot certificate.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I believe that number may possibly be accurate, because until recently, training received from an FAR 61 Subpart K CFI did not count toward higher ratings. Since most flight schools would not hire a CFI-SP, it was kind of a dead-end rating. With recent changes to allow CFI-SP training to apply for higher ratings, the viability (and hence, popularity) of the CFI-SP will likely increase.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
smutny

Post by smutny »

drseti wrote:With recent changes to allow CFI-SP training to apply for higher ratings, the viability (and hence, popularity) of the CFI-SP will likely increase.
Was this in the FAA Reauthorization Act? If so, I didn't realize it was in there.

In the next few months, there should be a 64th... Been working on my Ground Instructor recently, thereafter CFI-S.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
TDFlyer

Post by TDFlyer »

TimTaylor wrote:I don't think it matters because any CFI can instruct students toward a Sport Pilot certificate.
As a CFI-S myself, I am aware that any CFI can train a sport pilot student. I was just curious how many other CFI-S’s were out there. I figured there would be more. I had already started working on my CFI-S when the rule change was announced allowing Sport Pilots trained by a CFI-S to credit their training towards a private, that is a huge deal.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

TDFlyer wrote:. . . . . the rule change was announced allowing Sport Pilots trained by a CFI-S to credit their training towards a private, that is a huge deal.
Concur.
There is absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t have been that way in the first place.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
kbrown66

Post by kbrown66 »

Completing CFI academy now...hope to be CFI-S soon.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Super! If you're looking for a job, call me when you get that CFI-SP.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TDFlyer

Post by TDFlyer »

Never mind. The database I downloaded was corrupted. There are about 500 CFI-S holders
drseti

Post by drseti »

That sounds a bit more realistic. Still not overwhelming.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US