Knocking off landing rust

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

AviatorCrafty

Knocking off landing rust

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Went flying today to try and fix an issue I've noticed with my landings where I'm starting to get a little lazy with the flare, I wouldn't pull back enough which would result in a slight bounce. After doing some touch and go's I've made some progress, not sure where this rust came from since this wasn't an issue until the flight before this one. Any tips to keep in mind while trying to fix this issue? Or just keep flying until I get it right? I've talked to pilots who are far more experienced than me who claim they have times where their landings get a little less than ideal, so I guess this is one of those moments for me.
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
fatsportpilot

Re: Knocking off landing rust

Post by fatsportpilot »

This happened to me very recently but I would do TOO much flare too early and I would balloon instead of settling to the ground on my back wheels.

Just keep practicing until it clicks again. Everyone gets rusty and over or under compensates until they do it enough and find the sweet spot again. LSAs are light enough that even the littlest mishap can make a landing go bad. A little pattern work with some touch and gos is good practice.
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Good to know, up until I had to take a 2 month flying break from Corona virus I'd say my landings were really good, guess I'm just starting to expose the rust from that.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

My rust came from just 2 weeks. At 2 months it would be surprising if you didn't get a little rusty!
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

I guess a second lesson is that of pilot rust, because of location and such I can really only get out to fly every other week. During training, I flew every weekend because my original school was closer.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot