Sport - CFI testing

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

goose

Sport - CFI testing

Post by goose »

As a way of introduction, I am a reluctant private pilot. I say reluctant because there was no light sport training available within a reasonable driving distance when I did my training, so I went the PP route instead. Had there been light sport, I would have gone that route. Fast forward to today, a new flying club near me purchased an RV12 and I joined up. The club needs additional Sport CFIs and I decided to pursue it.

I purchased the Gleim SIA program. I have a couple of preliminary questions. Does SIA and FIA draw from the same test question bank? In the Gleim program, there are some questions relating to constant speed propellers and multi-engine aircraft. If the question bank is the same, I am considering using SheppardAir in addition to Gleim as a last push before the exam. I used Sheppard for my instrument, advanced ground, and instrument ground tests as a way to fine tune my studying and it seemed to help. But I don't want to waste my time going through Sheppard's question bank if it won't help.

Regarding the FOI and the check ride. I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. I did not take the FOI test, I have been a teacher at various levels for many years and I used my teaching employment instead of taking another written test for AGI and IGI. However, I see that FOI is a part of the CFI-S check ride. I have glanced through the FOI book, but I don't want to fail the check ride because I can't remember some of the silly lists in there. How much emphasis is placed on FOI during the check ride? I intend to go through the book again beforehand, but I find FOI to be a little ridiculous.

I am sure to have more questions as things move along. Any advice is appreciated, especially if I am missing something.

Thanks.
TDFlyer

Re: Sport - CFI testing

Post by TDFlyer »

MY DPE (a retired high school teacher) warned me she would be hitting the FOI stuff hard on the CFI-S oral, and she did.

I would take the FOI exam even if you don't have to- you might be teaching it later.

SIA and FIA (and AGI) draw fom the same question bank. 70 instead of 100 questions due to no complex/instument stuff.

Take the AGI as a practice test for the SIA.