Instructing in unfamiliar LSA

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

mharry

Instructing in unfamiliar LSA

Post by mharry »

Like so many others, I am in an area of the country without any flight schools or clubs nearby with any LSA aircraft or accessible Sport Pilot instruction. For both the training aspect as well as the ability to fly something after getting a Sport Pilot License, I’m heading down the path of purchasing an LSA right from the start. I’ve found a local CFI willing to provide instruction for the SPL, but this leads me to a question that I’m looking for some advice/guidance with…. I assume a CFI that does not have experience in the particular plane I purchase should get transition training for the aircraft, but is transition training sufficient to provide safe, quality instruction?
3Dreaming

Re: Instructing in unfamiliar LSA

Post by 3Dreaming »

Insurance may require transition training, or at least hours in type before the instructor can give instruction in the airplane. How much time the instructor will need to be an effective instructor, well that depends on the instructors background and flying experience.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

When I say it depends on the instructor I really mean that. A young instructor with no light sport time really does need transition training with someone who knows the airplane. I know a light sport owner who had his airplane damaged because of an instructor who was not familiar with the type. The owner wanted some training on grass field take offs and landings. They were flying a Sport Cruiser. The owner knew how to fly the airplane. On the first take off with the instructor, the instructor panicked when the airplane pitched up after take off. The instructor pushed forward on the stick, and the airplane settled into some tall grass. I have flown a Sport Cruiser before, and it has an unsettling sight picture on climb out after take off compared to your normal Cessna or Piper.

If the airplane is one that requires attention to coordination, like a Flight Design CT, then your typical Cessna/Piper instructor may have issues. The CT takes a few hours for most to feel comfortable in it.

What airplane are you looking at?
mharry

Post by mharry »

With an eye towards what is available, my shortlist currently includes:
  • Czech Sport Cruiser
  • Flight Design CTLS/CTSW
  • Jabiru J230/J250
  • Cessna 162
But I am absolutely open to suggestions/guidance.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The most important thing with any airplane is support from the manufacture. The top two on your list are both good airplanes, but the support for the Sport Cruiser is a little lacking. Support for the CT is very good, both from the pilot community and the manufacture's side. I'm not going to say that the bottom two are no good, but I don't the support is there. I take care of a couple Sport Cruisers, and a gaggle of Flight Designs. I really haven't formed an opinion yet, but I am going to have a very nice Sting S3 for sale soon. There have been several different imports for the Sting over the years. I don't know if that indicates a problem or not. In the past support seemed to be decent.

For any airplane choice, first define the mission. That will narrow down the airplane choices. Then look for support of the product. Over the years there have been some really nice looking LSA's come to market that are no more because of lack of support or a shyster for an importer. You don't want an orphaned airplane with no support.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

The Sling 2 is far better, IMO than the last 2 aircraft on your list. Support has been excellent, not that I’ve needed anything, in the past 5 years.
dbrotto

Post by dbrotto »

The point about factory and community support (and parts availability) is spot on. Have you considered an RV-12? There is great support from the community and from the manufacturer (who has been in business for many years) and there are many in service. Pilots that own them have high praise for them. A number of schools teach in them too.

Danny Brotto