Insurance rate shocker

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

MrMorden

Re: Insurance rate shocker

Post by MrMorden »

Warmi wrote:I actually got the same rate as last year just this June - in fact I got a quote for another insurance for a few bucks less but the broker ( Aviation Insurance Resources ) correctly suggested that it is not worth breaking the relationship with USIAG ( my current carrier ) over a few bucks.
Exactly my experience, and the same brokerage. I also opted to stay with USAIG for about $50 more a year that the other carrier I was offered.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I wonder if we're paying for 737 MAX losses... :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

FastEddieB wrote:
drseti wrote:
Scooper wrote: Eddie, I'm not sure that came out right. :?
You think maybe he meant $100 of each rental hour?
I had to read it a dozen times or so to get what was wrong with it!

Yes, rental hour.
Got it. That makes sense.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

"I wonder if we're paying for 737 MAX losses.."

Probably not, but I suspect all the storm damage to aircraft lately will cause rates to go up for all owners. Same goes for boats and houses.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Took a hit this year as well. I rent so it's not directly comparable to your owners/commercial/instruction policies, but it's now over $1,000/year. It shot up 20%. I got the same response: it's industry wide....
Ed
RTK

Post by RTK »

Sigh... add me to the "Insurance Rate Shocker" club.

I got my renewal from AIG (through AOPA), and my premium is up 25% to $2,500 for $65K in hull value! No incidents in my past (but a lower time pilot.) Ouch...
Type47

Post by Type47 »

Shop around. I was with Aopa insurance.
Switched to EAA. Up $40.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
designrs

Post by designrs »

I’d tell them, “Industry-wide isn’t my problem. I’ve never even had a claim in years. Maintain the same rate as last year or cancel my policy!”

My auto insurance issues six-month policies, and every six months they try to increase my premium. I WILL NOT PAY!

I’m not cheep by any standard, but the one thing that I despise most is force-fed consumerism.
JUST SAY NO!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
RTK

Post by RTK »

I reached out to Aviation Insurance Resources (AIR-Pros) and they got me a really strong rate with the same coverage I had through AOPA. In fact, it's about 76% the price of my policy last year (which was already high). I just need to clarify a few points with AIR-Pros as I converted my aircraft to E-LSA this year. (Done to allow me to make sensible upgrades to my aircraft such as a GDL-82 and Aera 660). But if that doesn't change the rate, I'll make the switch. Heck, the money saved vs. this year's renewal will easily pay for my next two annuals.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

As a single data point, when I took my Sky Arrow E-LSA in 2009, my rate with Falcon actually went down a bit.

That’s the good news.

The bad news was they would only insure the hull for $50k, down from the $60k I recall I was carrying at the time. It was almost certainly that reduction in hull coverage, not my new EXPERIMENTAL status, that led to the rate reduction. And with new Sky Arrow prices roughly doubling since I bought mine in 2007, I’m very likely underinsured on the hull.

Regardless, next year I may try shopping around a bit.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Last year I bought a Taylorcraft BC12-D. It was fairly inexpensive and needed some work to even fly it home. I insured it for $13,000 hull, and may be under insured by $1,000 or so. High time pilot with 1,000 plus Taylorcraft time. My rate if I remember correctly was $505. This year I was told it was going up by $8, but when I got the bill it was actually down $16 because they had not applied the rate reduction for having an instrument rating :roll: .

My commercial policy comes due in February, so we will see what it does. Last year it had an increase, but in prior years it had decreased or held the same depending on the year.
drseti

Post by drseti »

My renewal quote just came in at $6446. That's a 24% increase from last year. I may well have to close the flight school...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:My renewal quote just came in at $6446. That's a 24% increase from last year. I may well have to close the flight school...
I hope you’re joking!

Though I suppose it depends on how much of your “large fortune” remains!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:
drseti wrote:My renewal quote just came in at $6446. That's a 24% increase from last year. I may well have to close flight school...
I hope you’re joking!
x2
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
designrs

Post by designrs »

drseti wrote:My renewal quote just came in at $6446. That's a 24% increase from last year. I may well have to close the flight school...
Fight it Paul. Reach out to other schools. See who they use. I assume that you haven’t had any claims.
FIGHT THIS! Everyone knows you can win!!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser