Wings Question

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

JJ Campbell

Wings Question

Post by JJ Campbell »

I'm a new Sport Pilot ASEL and will start working on my gyro endorsement next week.

I've been advised that Sport Pilots should stick with Basic Wings and that you can keep earning levels indefinitely. True?

Also, do the insurance underwriters take notice of what kind of aircraft you do the flying portion of the Wings level? For example, if I purchase a gyro and have it insured and due to lack of gyro CFIs, do the Wings flight portion in a fixed-wing, will the insurer not lower my premium because I didn't use a gyro?
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: Wings Question

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Sorry for the thread drift, I don’t have an answer to your Wings question, but can tell you, with or without Wings points, GYROPLANE insurance for a newly minted pilot will be extremely expensive. For that matter, it will be expensive even for a SP or PP with hours.

I contemplated purchasing a AutoGyro USA, Calidus. Me, with SEL/MEL, Instrument airplane and 2000 hrs, I was quoted an astronomical number AND that was before the market hardened. Just sayin...