Rotax rubber hose 5 year replacement costs

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Rotax rubber hose 5 year replacement costs

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: Gates 28467 for the 90° hose.
Thanks, Tom.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:
Rotax doesn't necessarily authorize fuel hoses. Normally hose specifications are set by the aircraft manufacture
correct - I misspoke.
Flight Design provides a DIN specification in their part manual.
The fuel hoses supplied on the Evektor kit are also to DIN spec. But ones I've bought in the past from both CPS and LEAF were not (or, at least, were not so labeled). So, I've gone to using the acft manufacturer supplied hose kits as a rule.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

ShawnM wrote:since I'm also E-LSA, I get to pick a better hose
I'm not too worried about your choice of hose, Shawn - you obviously do your homework. I'd just like to mention that owners of experimental aircraft also get to pick an inferior hose (and sometimes do). :(
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Visited with my mechanic today and he’s going to do the 5 year rubber replacement with the annual. $2950 for 5 year rubber including parts and labor. Going to replace fuel pump as part of it and price the rubber engine mounts “while we’re at it”.
Van’s latest SB on exhaust for RV-12 does not apply to my airplane fortunately.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nomore767 wrote:Visited with my mechanic today and he’s going to do the 5 year rubber replacement with the annual. $2950 for 5 year rubber including parts and labor. Going to replace fuel pump as part of it and price the rubber engine mounts “while we’re at it”.
That price seems...high.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:Visited with my mechanic today and he’s going to do the 5 year rubber replacement with the annual. $2950 for 5 year rubber including parts and labor. Going to replace fuel pump as part of it and price the rubber engine mounts “while we’re at it”.
That price seems...high.
Maybe compared to your ELSA where you can substitute parts and you do your own labor. For a SLSA and paying shop rate for labor that seems to be a pretty fair price.
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote: That price seems...high.
High (like all things Aviation), but not out of the ordinary. Considering the cost of an official complete Rotax/Van's rubber kit (figure $1500), the number of hours of labor required (I estimate 2 full days), and the average mechanic's labor rate (around here it's $85/hour), that comes to $2860.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Plus sales tax on the parts of approx $100.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

To put things in perspective: if you fly 60 hours a year, you have to put aside $10 per flight hour to cover the rubber replacement. (If you're flying an experimental, and do your own labor, that comes down to half as much).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Seems reasonable. I spent $315 yesterday flying to get a cheeseburger. And that doesn't include the cost of the cheeseburger.
Retired from flying.
David

Post by David »

drseti wrote:
I'm not too worried about your choice of hose, Shawn - you obviously do your homework. I'd just like to mention that owners of experimental aircraft also get to pick an inferior hose (and sometimes do). :(
I agree pick good quality - I used Rotax recommended hoses from Lockwood except the fuel hoses from Aircraft Specialties http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/kitpla ... hoses.html Teflon lined hoses
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

David wrote:
drseti wrote:
I agree pick good quality - I used Rotax recommended hoses from Lockwood except the fuel hoses from Aircraft Specialties http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/kitpla ... hoses.html Teflon lined hoses
Teflon hoses are typically "lifetime" hoses. Do you plan to replace them again in five years?

I used Gates Barricade fuel hose, which is designed to resist aggressive (e.g. ethanol) fuel mixtures and higher temperature & pressure than "normal" fuel hoses. I do plan to replace them every five years.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

MrMorden wrote:I used Gates Barricade fuel hose, which is designed to resist aggressive (e.g. ethanol) fuel mixtures and higher temperature & pressure than "normal" fuel hoses. I do plan to replace them every five years.
I also chose Gate Barricade carburetor hoses for my SportCruiser. Top of the line rubber hoses in my opinion and extremely affordable. Can be purchased at your local O'Reillys Auto Parts store. Also used fuel injection style hose clamps so as not to damage the hose, not the crappy serrated hose clamps. Those should never be used on an aircraft, also my opinion. :mrgreen:
David

Post by David »

MrMorden wrote:
David wrote:
drseti wrote:

Teflon hoses are typically "lifetime" hoses. Do you plan to replace them again in five years?

I used Gates Barricade fuel hose, which is designed to resist aggressive (e.g. ethanol) fuel mixtures and higher temperature & pressure than "normal" fuel hoses. I do plan to replace them every five years.
Re: 5 year replacement, plan on extending beyond 5 years but check them each year during the conditional and see how it goes
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

David wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
David wrote:
Re: 5 year replacement, plan on extending beyond 5 years but check them each year during the conditional and see how it goes
That's good. I looked at the coat of those Teflon hoses and hated to think you planned to pay that every 5 years! My CT has a couple of Teflon hoses on the top of the engine from the factory. I wish they had done Teflon everywhere.

Maybe at the next rubber change I'll bite the bullet and go all Teflon so I never have to replace them again. Some of them are a real PITA to get to well enough to change them.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI