912 ULS Oil Temps

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Sling 2 Pilot

912 ULS Oil Temps

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

So, with OAT between 56-70, I’ve yet to get my Oil temps beyond 188. I’ve not. See, on any consistent basis, temps in the recommended range of 190-2:0. Basicly, not getting to the magic 212 degree F to burn off condensation and other impurities.

When I ask, I’m told what I see is good, which is 140’s to 180’s. Is this a problem, that I run cool? Do I. We’d to tape a radiator in the summer?
MrMorden

Re: 912 ULS Oil Temps

Post by MrMorden »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:So, with OAT between 56-70, I’ve yet to get my Oil temps beyond 188. I’ve not. See, on any consistent basis, temps in the recommended range of 190-2:0. Basicly, not getting to the magic 212 degree F to burn off condensation and other impurities.

When I ask, I’m told what I see is good, which is 140’s to 180’s. Is this a problem, that I run cool? Do I. We’d to tape a radiator in the summer?
My 912ULS stays cool when it's below 70F or so, and it can be hard to get temps up. Once it gets above 80F and especially above 90F, it's a challenge to keep temps down. I try to never go above 245F oil temps, which sometimes means a step climb in the summer if I'm going pretty high. 225-235F is pretty common in summer.

If you are having trouble getting above 180F, you might want to add a little tape to the radiator. I think it's good to get over 200F on most flights, that means the temps inside the engine will be over boiling for water and get and accumulated water out of the oil. That said running a little cool is probably preferable to running on the hot side.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye on it, as the temps in the area rise into July and August.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I have issues getting above 200 in the winter as well, but not in the summer - today for instance went up around 6:30 pm with ground temps being 90 degrees and for about 90% of the flight the oil temp stayed between 225 and 228 ( CH temps were around 218 ) with oil temps going down to around 220-225 when I was descending for my final landing - pretty normal for me when it gets around 90 degrees.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois