uAvionix skyBeacon

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

uAvionix skyBeacon

Post by FastEddieB »

I’m looking to add ADSB to my Experimental Sky Arrow for the lowest possible price. When I was getting my transponder looked at, the shop gave me some options, but all were in the area of $3k.

The uAvionix skyBeacon lists for $1,849, and looks like it would do the job. Their tailBeacon won’t work since my Sky Arrow has no tail position light. That role is served by the wingtip position light/strobe combo shining a white light to the rear.

But that presents another problem: the skyBeacon has no rear-facing white position light. So, I’d have to come up with a separate white LED, unless the single white light on the right wing would legally suffice. As a practical matter, I have not flown at night in ages, and have no immediate plans to do so, but now with BasicMed at least I have the option.

Anyone gone the skyBeacon route or have any thoughts on the matter? No huge rush, but 2020 ain’t getting any further away!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Re: uAvionix skyBeacon

Post by ShawnM »

I have no experience with the SkyBeacon but I'd first check to make sure your existing lights, they look to be Kuntzleman like my old ones, will function properly when you remove one head from the strobe control box. I never tried this with mine before I replaced my lights and dont know if the outputs are load dependant.

I know the SkyBeacon seems like a simple solution but to me having mixed-match lights on the plane looks like an afterthought or something. I know they make a matching ADS-B in unit for the other wing and soon to release just a matching NAV/strobe but to get it to look right requires spending more money.

The "other" options they showed you, was one of them the GDL-82? It's the lowest cost option right now I think at $1795. It's an amazing unit, offers other features like a fault annunciator and anonymous mode. I like that it's all hardwired and doesn't just "sniff" your transponder codes. Just food for thought.

I also heard that the FAA is offering up unclaimed rebates. Go here and read if you are interested in trying to claim any of these unclaimed rebates.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/

Good luck in your search.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Even if you never fly at night, Eddie, flying during the hours of civil twilight (which Sport Pilot can do, and higher rated pilots can do in an ELSA) is open to you. But that requires functioning position lights. The white (rear-facing) position light can be satisfied by either a light on the tail, or one on each wingtip. I don't think a single wingtip light looking back will cut it, as it won't be visible to planes behind you if you're in a turn.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Horizon Avionics said they’d send me a written estimate.

I mentioned the GDL82. As best I can recall, these were the arguments against:

1) Installation would be more, and finding a spot for the unit could be problematic.

2} The Garmin GTX335, at about $2,700 would solve that problem.

3) I would then be free to sell my existing transponder. They seem to bring at least $500 on eBay, and he would “yellow-tag” it, making it easier to sell.

4) He predicts the GTX335 would outsell the GDL82 by a factor of 10, making service and replacement units way easier to come by.

Replacing my existing transponder antenna is straightforward. Finding a spot for the top-mounted GPS antenna less so. On my glare shield may be an option. Otherwise, drilling a hole in a composite plane is not a simple matter, and we may need to get creative.

As I said, that’s from memory, and I may be off on details.

Back to the skyBeacon, I agree with the Professor that 2 rear wingtip white position light are probably required. So I’d have to find a bright white LED to match the brightness of the one on the right wing. I have to check the wiring to my strobes. But if the skyBeacon strobes are LED, running a wire to provide 12v controlled by my strobe switch would not be too hard.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Eddie,

I had an installer tell me the same things . . . but it was an attempt to sell me equipment I did not need $$$$. It was BS.

Just in case you don't know this . . for GDL-82 installation . . . your old mode C transponder will work, as well as the "L Band" (blade) transponder antenna it uses. That antenna serves as the ADS-B antenna. Not necessary to drill more holes in your airframe. Of course, you would have to find a spot to mount the GDL-82 GPS antenna (very similar to other puck antenna's). The cables can be prefabricated at Spruce to tailer your individual needs. My GDL-82 GPS antenna is mounted atop the instrument panel and it works just fine.
So far, my PAPR reports have come back perfect. Can't say enough good things about the GDL-82. YMMV.

JMTC
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Another vote for GDL 82 - I am not sure how they calculated it but when I was evaluating my options GTX335 ended up being 2 or 3 k more than the GDL 82 without any obvious benefit - well, you do get a new transponder but the old one is working just fine so would rather spend that money of fuel hehe

The bottom line is that after working with the avionics shop ( https://www.midwestskysports.com/ - actually the same guys that build Slings ) we couldn’t come up with anything cheaper and easier to install than GDL 82 for my Sting .

Btw there was no drilling required - at least not on outside . I had to have my old transponder antenna replaced with the L-band version and have the new GA 35 GPS antenna & ground plane installed - that was done behind the seat in the baggage compartment.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

FastEddieB wrote:Horizon Avionics said they’d send me a written estimate.

I mentioned the GDL82. As best I can recall, these were the arguments against:

1) Installation would be more, and finding a spot for the unit could be problematic.

2} The Garmin GTX335, at about $2,700 would solve that problem.

3) I would then be free to sell my existing transponder. They seem to bring at least $500 on eBay, and he would “yellow-tag” it, making it easier to sell.

4) He predicts the GTX335 would outsell the GDL82 by a factor of 10, making service and replacement units way easier to come by.

Replacing my existing transponder antenna is straightforward. Finding a spot for the top-mounted GPS antenna less so. On my glare shield may be an option. Otherwise, drilling a hole in a composite plane is not a simple matter, and we may need to get creative.

As I said, that’s from memory, and I may be off on details.

Back to the skyBeacon, I agree with the Professor that 2 rear wingtip white position light are probably required. So I’d have to find a bright white LED to match the brightness of the one on the right wing. I have to check the wiring to my strobes. But if the skyBeacon strobes are LED, running a wire to provide 12v controlled by my strobe switch would not be too hard.
The skybeacon strobes are LED.

And I think WmInce might be onto something with what the avionics shop is telling you, the GDL-82 is extremely easy to install. I'm about to install my 3rd one for yet another owner at my airport. Possibly a 4th lined up as well if the owner ever gets off his wallet. :mrgreen: As far as the number of them out there, whether it's 10 or 1000 units Garmin service will always service what they sell. The number of them shouldn't effect service.

Buying the Skybeacon then means buying new lights and installing them along with new wiring for said lights just to install the ADS-B unit. I'd suggest keeping your existing transponder and lights and consider the GDL-82. I'm sure you have a spot for the unit in the plane, it's a pretty small unit. If I were closer I'd help you install it since I own all the speciality tools needed for the install. I'm in Nashville often if that gets me closer to you. This alone would save you a bundle of money as I'm sure an avionics shop is not cheap these days. Pair that savings with getting lucky enough to claim an unclaimed rebate and that's money in the bank.

The only reason I suggest the GDL-82 is because you opened this topic with "I'm looking to add ADSB to my Experimental Sky Arrow for the lowest possible price." That's the GDL-82. :mrgreen:
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

There was a pretty detailed write up about GDL 82 installation on a SportCruiser at another forum ... http://www.scflier.com/topic/90-ads-b-s ... ment=11992
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Warmi, a couple of questions for you (with regards to the GLD-82):

1. My 2007 Sting has two short wire transponder antennas off the belly--one just aft of the nose wheel strut and another just aft of the wing spars. Is the one up near the strut the transponder OUT that needs to be changed? And the aft-most one is the transponder IN for the PCAS?

2. Did you get a LOA from SportairUSA?

Thanks.--Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drdehave wrote:Warmi, a couple of questions for you (with regards to the GLD-82):

1. My 2007 Sting has two short wire transponder antennas off the belly--one just aft of the nose wheel strut and another just aft of the wing spars. Is the one up near the strut the transponder OUT that needs to be changed? And the aft-most one is the transponder IN for the PCAS?

2. Did you get a LOA from SportairUSA?

Thanks.--Rich
Yep, the one by the nose wheel strut - you access it via the inspection hole in the cockpit floor ( if you want, I can send you the entire logbook entry for this covering exactly what was done, what wire and parts were used etc )
The actual GDL 82 device was installed inside the main body , just behind the rudder springs attachments under the baggage compartment.

As far as getting a LOA - there is no need , the MEL list already covers it ( http://sting.aero/wp-content/uploads/20 ... Aug-17.pdf ) - look at the ADSB section for Garmin - all series, models.
Last edited by Warmi on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Deleted
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

You guys have sold me on the GDL82. Thanks.

To avoid confusion, I’ll soon start another thread concerning my plans along those lines.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

As an FYI I installed the uAvionix Tail Beacon on my Zenith 601 XLB last week. The 10 minute install took about 4 hours. Mostly because the existing opening required some enlargement and the screws that came with it to mount the locking ring to the plane were too small for the existing holes. I managed to remedy those issues and got it mounted and configured. Someone told me that FlightAware can be used to track your flight. When I had a look at my first test flight I only saw 6 minutes out of about 30. I contacted uAvionix because I thought something might be wrong. They told me FlightAware is not the best place to look and just get the PAPR from the FAA. The PAPR showed the entire flight time. There was a very small(<2%) of errors which might have been caused by me power cycling the unit in flight(I was monitoring it on the app on my phone and notice that the WIFI signal dropped). I was informed that the WIFI automatically shuts off after 5 minutes. So so far seems to be working good. I have another longer flight coming up tomorrow and I'm going to test it again.
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

( if you want, I can send you the entire logbook entry for this covering exactly what was done, what wire and parts were used etc )

That would be excellent! No sense in me trying to re-write the book!

You should still have my direct email. If not, click the "About" button on Sting Flight home page, YouTube, and get it.

Thanks! (Whilst I haven't given up yet on the Skybeacon, I'm leaning towards your solution.)
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

So my second flight test of the Tail Beacon was much better. Flew from HWV to BAF, a little over an hour. This time the PAPR showed no errors. Looks like I'm good to go.