GDL 82 for my Sky Arrow?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: GDL 82 for my Sky Arrow?

Post by MrMorden »

For the record, I was not saying you can't size CBs to twice the rated load of devices, and I'm agnostic on how you size CBs.

What I'm saying is you can't appropriately size a CB unless you know the amp rating of the wires behind it. If you have your GDL-82 connected with 10 gauge wiring, a 50A breaker might be safe. If you use 26 gauge wire, 3A might be too much. The breaker has to be sized to the wire, not to the device requirement...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Seems to me you would size the wires and breaker to meet the requirements of the device.
Retired from flying.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

TimTaylor wrote:Seems to me you would size the wires and breaker to meet the requirements of the device.
That is the best way...figure the device requirements, then size the wire & breaker to suit. But in this case we're discussing of adding a new device to an existing breaker, it takes a little more thought to make sure it's a good setup.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

MrMorden wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:Seems to me you would size the wires and breaker to meet the requirements of the device.
That is the best way...figure the device requirements, then size the wire & breaker to suit. But in this case we're discussing of adding a new device to an existing breaker, it takes a little more thought to make sure it's a good setup.
Agreed. I would run separate wiring and breaker, unless it's such low draw it doesn't matter.
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

MrMorden wrote:
Yup and dont forget to factor in the length of the wire as this will need to be in the equation also so the wire doesn't melt. :shock: The device only draws 0.5A max so it is a minimal load but still there's math to be done.
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote: The breaker has to be sized to the wire, not to the device requirement...
Actually, all three (wire size, breaker current, and device load) are all inexorably linked. AC 43-13 has tables for determining the wire size required for a given load. Once you've chosen the right wire, you can then select the appropriate circuit breaker. There's a bit of convoluted (iterative) math involved - which is why they pay us engineers the big bux!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
proemer

Post by proemer »

My GTX 327 xponder is rated at an input of 15 Watts, typical, 22 watts max. (or well under 2 amps on a 14 V system). On the ground or in flight I've actually measured it (with alt encoder) at 1 to 1.5 amps.

So... it looks like adding the -82 to a 5 A breaker is possible, although as others have stated wire size, length, etc all are factors to be considered.

Pete