Mechanic for Sportstar and Rotax 912ULS

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Dave C

Mechanic for Sportstar and Rotax 912ULS

Post by Dave C »

Hello all,

I recently relocated my Sportstar to be based in Burlington, NC, KBUY. I don't currently have any issues with the plane but I am sure at some point that I'll need something fixed that I can't do myself. Does anyone know a mechanic in that area that has Sportstar or Rotax expertise? Do you have any good ideas on how to locate one at a new airport? I certainly can ask around with everybody that I see at the field but is there something additional that I can do.
Warmi

Re: Mechanic for Sportstar and Rotax 912ULS

Post by Warmi »

For Rotax mechanics , try this : https://rotaxirmt.com/locator
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

I've owned and maintained two SportStars over the past 10 years, holding both LSRM certificates and Rotax 912 ratings for service, maintenance, and heavy maintenance. My shop is also a Rotax authorized Independent Repair Centre. Unfortunately, I'm pretty far from NC, but if you ever care to fly your plane up to Central PA for service, I'm here to help.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Warmi wrote:For Rotax mechanics , try this : https://rotaxirmt.com/locator
That shows a couple not terribly far away but not exactly in town. Thanks for the tip! Probably also good source to check if I have a problem while traveling.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

drseti wrote:I've owned and maintained two SportStars over the past 10 years, holding both LSRM certificates and Rotax 912 ratings for service, maintenance, and heavy maintenance. My shop is also a Rotax authorized Independent Repair Centre. Unfortunately, I'm pretty far from NC, but if you ever care to fly your plane up to Central PA for service, I'm here to help.

If only you were in Burlington!
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Try this site as well for a LSRM. It's a map based search. https://rainbowaviation.com/?page_id=4854
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

ShawnM wrote:Try this site as well for a LSRM. It's a map based search. https://rainbowaviation.com/?page_id=4854
Thanks Shawn! I'll keep that in mind as well.
designrs

Post by designrs »

I always loved KBUY airport, staff & facilities. It was my overnight stop on my first long and most exciting cross-country... heading south to flee the cold Winter. Since then, KBUY has become my usual stop, for a quick fueling or overnight.

Good luck finding your ROTAX certified LSRM or A&P.
Please post your findings, I’d value a recommendation in the area. 8)
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser